A little chat

I sat all alone in the tree house. Axel and Olivia were out shopping, but I wanted to stay behind. I was browsing through channels on the TV when I got a text from Petra. I opened up my phone to see what it said.

    Want to come over and hang out? Lukas is here too I thought about it for a moment. I was still kind of wary around Lukas. Ever since he found me out, I just felt... weird around him. Still, I had nothing else to do, and I did kind of want to talk to Petra. Sure. I turned the TV off and left for Petra's house.

    She opened the door before I even knocked, and pulled me inside. Why was she so excited? "Jesse, come in. We have to talk," she said. I looked at her in confusion. We walked over to 'the window' and found Lukas already sitting there. "Lukas, you're the smart one. Tell Jesse that God exists," Petra said. I sighed and rolled my eyes. Why did she care so much about this? "If you need me, I'll be making food downstairs," she said before leaving.

    "Umm... okay," Lukas said in confusion. We both stared after her as she walked away. "What was that all about?" he asked. I rolled my eyes as I made my way towards the big window me and Petra always sat by. "Petra is upset that I don't believe in God," I said. He nodded. "Yeah. Petra's parents were really devote Catholics. You would never guess from the way she acts in public though. I guess it wore off on her. Why... don't you believe in God by the way?" he asked. I shrugged. "I'm more of a science person. Why DO you believe in God?" I asked. "I don't know. I was raised catholic. It's just... something you believe. I don't question it," he said. "Sounds silly to me. I stick to the facts and science," I said. He nodded. "Me too. I want to be an archeologist some day," he said. I cocked my head. "That's not a very well-paying job," I said. He nodded. "I know. But I've always been pretty interested in stuff like that. It'd be really cool to get payed to do it, even if it's not very much," he said. I nodded in agreement. "You're right," I said.

    Do you have anyone who you look up to?" he asked. I thought for a moment. "Petra," I said. "Cool-cool," he said. "What about you?" I asked. He looked thoughtful. "Howard Carter," he said. "Ah. He's the guy who excavated the tomb of King Tut, right?" I asked. He nodded, impressed that I knew who he was. "Yeah," he said. I nodded and smiled.

    Just then I received a text from Axel and Olivia. I opened my phone to see them asking where I was. I quickly told them I was at Petra's place and closed my phone, but Lukas stopped me. "Hey, is that the Viena painting?" he asked, pointing to my homescreen. My screensaver was a portrait done by a famous artist named Durante. It wasn't the painting itself that I liked, but Zach Durante was also pretty well-known as a philosopher.

He preached about how we should embrace pain instead of trying to postpone it. He uses that philosophy whenever he gets involved in politics. But he usually tries to force people into embracing that pain instead of letting them decide for themselves. He even said a few things about releasing a virus on the world to avoid human overpopulation. I think that's how he died. The authorities came for him after he said that, so he commit suicide. While I didn't agree with his views, I did agree with his reasoning. I kept the photo on my screen to remind me that just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's right.

    I nodded. "Yeah. How did you know?" I asked. Lukas blushed. "I'm kind of an art nerd," he said. I giggled. "So you like art too?" he asked. I thought for a moment. "I'm more of a modern art type of person. But I respect Durante as a philosopher. His ideas may be radical, but his reasoning makes sense," I said. He cocked an eyebrow. "So you agree with him?" he asked.

    I looked at him, wide-eyed. "What? No! I'm just saying his arguments are convincing. To even insinuate that I would agree with a barbarian like him is insulting," I said angrily. He put his hands up in defence. "Hey, it was just a question," he said. I breathed out. "Sorry," I said. "I've just been really stressed out lately," I said. "About what?" he asked. I sighed. "It's... nothing," I said. "If it's about me finding out about your secret, don't worry. I won't tell anyone. It's... actually pretty cool that you're so smart. I wish I knew literally everything," he joked, giving me a cocky grin. I sighed. "And I wish I was normal," I said, staring out the window. He was about to say something else when Petra burst into the room. "Pizza's here," she said. Me and Lukas both grinned as we followed her out of the room.

Sorry it's so short. I promise the story will start getting better soon.