Secrets and Threats

I sat on a bench, looking around at the scenery. The town center was usually busy at this time of day, but no one liked going out in a thunderstorm. I was probably the only person in town who actually enjoyed the rain. I'm not entirely sure why. I just found it soothing. I shied as I pushed my soaked bangs away from my eyes for the umpteenth time. I hadn't told Axel or Olivia where I went. Sometimes I just need to disappear.

    I closed my eyes and leaned back in my seat, trying to relax when I heard someone behind me. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Jesse." I turned around to see Aiden. Great. "What do you want, Aiden," I said, rolling my eyes. "Oh, nothing. Just came to see how the 'special' kid is doing," he said. My eyes widened. "What?" I said, turning around and leaning my arms on the back of the bench so I could face him.

    "Oh, I heard you and Lukas' conversation yesterday," he said. "W-what do you mean by that?" I said. "Well, I just may have happened to be passing by Petra's house and I heard you guys talking through the open window. I just couldn't resist a good eavesdrop. I heard everything you told Lukas," he said. But the window wasn't open! Unless... I gasped. The window behind us! That one was left open! I hadn't noticed! I glared at Aiden. What was I supposed to say?

    "Don't you dare tell anyone," I choked out as tears threatened to fall. Aiden knew about this! Aiden! He's gonna tell everyone! No, he won't. He'll use it to blackmail me. I don't even know which one is worse! Aiden laughed at my pathetic attempt at a threat.

    "Sooo... when were you planning on telling Axel and Olivia?" he mocked. "Shut up," I said. He only laughed and gave me a smug smirk. "I don't think you're really in the position to be threatening me right now," he said, putting a hand on his hip. I growled under my breath, but said nothing. It's okay. I can figure this out. I'm the smartest mind in the world! No way am I gonna be pushed around by some idiotic bully like Aiden. "Aiden, you have no idea how important the information that you have is," I said. "You're right, I don't. And to be honest, I don't really care. Pretty soon, the whole world is gonna know, and those scientists are gonna come for you," he mocked. I stood up at the mention of them and got up in his face. "Aiden, you're messing with one of the greatest minds of this century. I'm capable of way more than you think, so you better back off or my secret will be the last thing you ever tell anyone," I threatened. Aiden just laughed. "I wouldn't go around boasting about how smart I was if you can't even remember to close a window," he said before turning around and walking away, laughing.

    I looked after him as I finally let my tears fall. What am I gonna do?