Chapter 7: What Once Was

Scarlett's senses numbed. She could no longer see, feel, touch, hear, or smell anything. However, this lasted for only a moment before a scene formed itself around her. She stood in the middle of a beautiful garden that appeared to be in someone's backyard. Tall, white fence lined said backyard, making her unable to see out unless she was to fly upwards, which she didn't. Rows of all kinds of plants- roses, tulips, berry bushes, small trees, and others- were in straight lines, parallel to the fences on either side of her. Behind her was another side of fence, and in front of her was the back wall of a house lined with decorative rocks.

Sitting in front of the red roses with her arms wrapped around her knees was a small girl with straight brown hair that went down slightly past her shoulders. She looked about five years old. The summer sun hung in the sky at an angle that made her shadow go behind her. Tending to the plants in the garden was a blonde-haired woman.

Normally, Scarlett would've flown away as fast as she could at the sight of the roses, but she was in a different mindset now, with being in the past instead of the present life and all. Curious as to why the little girl was just sitting there doing nothing, she walked towards her.

"Scarlett, what are you doing, sweetie?" the blonde woman called. Scarlett stopped in her tracks. How did she know her name? However, before she had time to respond, the little girl did it for her.

"The roses are singing to me, Mommy," the little girl, who was apparently named Scarlett, told her. "I'm listening to them."

"Okay," the woman, her mom, laughed. Suddenly, it hit the immortal Scarlett. This was a memory. Tooth had given her back her memories. She could hear the roses' voices as a human, too! But why wasn't the younger her in a trance? Why weren't the roses hypnotizing her?

The scene changed, and it was nearly the same as the previous one except that the plants were in different stages of growth, and the human Scarlett looked older, maybe around eight years old.

"What are you doing, Scarlett?" her mom asked again.

"Listening to the roses' song," the mortal Scarlett replied.

"And when the sun rises," the roses sung softly.

"Okay," Scarlett's mom said, although she didn't laugh like in the last memory.

"Can't you hear them?" the human Scarlett asked.

"All will be well."

"Yep," her mom said with a fake smile plastered on her face.

"The shadows will have gone."

The scene changed again to a different garden surrounded on all sides by brick walls. In one of those walls was a set of double doors. About twenty kids sat around the garden in benches and on the ground, reading books. They appeared to be about ten years old. A young woman walked down the stone path that swerved around the garden, supervising them.

"Hello," the human Scarlett whispered to the roses beside her, looking up from her book. "How are you?"

"We are well," the roses responded, and one of their small green vines wrapped itself loosely around Scarlett's left thumb, not seemingly as a threatening gesture, but like as a way of saying hello. "We have heard about you, the human child who can hear roses like us."

"Scarlett!" a demanding voice said sternly. The young woman, presumably her teacher, was glaring at her. "What did I say about not touching the plants?"

"But it touched me!" Scarlett exclaimed, trying to defend herself. However, her teacher would have none of it.

The scene changed again, back to a scene much like the first two.