Chapter 4: Fanning the Flames

Scarlett walked through the woods nearby, bored and confused as to what she should do now. She wasn't really sure that she should go near humans, lest she accidentally make people fall in love again, and that meant that she couldn't go buy anything for her entertainment, not that she had any money anyway.

Deciding that she should stay away from the forest as well so that she didn't run into any more roses, she flapped her wings and took off into the air, barely being able to make it through the hole in the leaf canopy above. She soared through the warm summer air as she thought about the words the flowers had sung to her. 'Join the ones who you cast aside'? What was that supposed to mean? Or how about, 'come back to the forbidden ones from whom you were torn'? Or 'now that you are free, you can return'? Scarlett didn't know why the roses had done with they did, nor what their song had meant. Had the lyrics just been something to mess with her head if she escaped the roses?

She continued to think about this while she flew for a few more hours, and then she got tired and landed. The sun was setting, causing the sky to turn beautiful shades of pink, golden orange, and purple. She had lived just about one day in this world that she could remember, and it had been both very eventful and very confusing. She hoped that things would clear up soon, for the chaos in her mind wasn't very pleasant.

"Hello," said a low voice behind her. She turned around to find two yellow eyes staring at her from in a shadow of a lone leafy tree. Their owner then stepped forward to reveal the rest of him- hauntingly pale skin, black hair, and a dark cloak. It was Pitch.

Scarlett was alarmed. Tooth had told her that he was evil. If he was no longer under the influence of her power...

"What do you want?" she asked fearfully, not sure of what he was capable of. However, a multicolored circle-shaped thing soon appeared next to the dark being, and three other people- North, Sandy, and Jack- came through it. Then, a hole in the ground appeared next to that, and Bunny hopped out of it. The four new arrivals were all holding objects of some sort. "Why...," Scarlett started.

"I," North began, but he was given glares by the other people, except for Scarlett, so he changed his starting word. "We have gifts for you." Scarlett was confused. Were the gifts some sort of apology for acting the way they had while under her power's influence? Or were they actually still in "love" with her...?

North handed her his gift first. It was a white bow with gold-colored trimmings on its edges.

"It's for self-defense, if you're ever in danger," he explained. "Infinite arrows will appear for it when you need them." He looked proud of himself.

Then Jack, Sandy, and Bunny all tried to thrust their gifts into Scarlett's hands next, as if it were some sort of competition. Scarlett didn't know what to do, so she just took the thing closest to her- a necklace with a heart charm hanging on it, the entirety of the piece of jewelry made out of golden sand. Jack and Bunny backed off, both looking peeved. Sandy, however, was glowing more than usual. He then created three golden doves that circled around above Scarlett.

Jack then quickly gave her his gifts before Bunny had time to. They were a bedazzled tiara, flowers, and jewels, all made out of glittering ice that wasn't melting in the warmth of the season. Then, Bunny carefully set his gifts- a bouquet of brightly-colored flowers and a few painted eggs and pieces of chocolate- atop the ones she was already holding in her arms. Pitch then stepped forward, and black sand spiraled from his fingertips to form a tall, genderless figure with amber eyes and a long sword in a sheath on a belt around its waist.

"This is your servant," Pitch told Scarlett. "It will do whatever you command it to." The winged, brown-haired spirit looked at all of them. What were they expecting her to do? They all stared at her intently, as if waiting for something. And where was Tooth?

"Who do you love the most now?" Jack asked her.

"I...I still don't love any of you," she responded. It was definitely easier saying it the second time around. A look came over all of the male beings' faces that she couldn't quite read. Frustration? Hatred? Rebellion?

"Okay, mate," Bunny said, and then they all went away using their preferred method of transportation and left Scarlett in the silence. Maybe, if she told them enough times that she didn't love them, they would move on...?

But little did she know that she had just fanned the flames of a war. 

(A/N: All follows, votes, and comments are appreciated. :)

I will upload a chapter every week unless otherwise stated.

I also posted this fanfiction on DeviantArt and Quotev under accounts of the same username as the one I have on this website.

Disclaimer: I don't own "Rise of the Guardians" (© DreamWorks Animation) or the Guardians of Childhood series (© William Joyce) that it was based off of.)