Chapter 12: The Roses' True Intention

Scarlett's funeral was small, as not a lot of people had come to know her as a spirit before she died a second time, so close to her first death. Only the Guardians attended, to mourn the loss of someone they barely knew. Tooth had spent the most time with her, so it was her who made a speech.

Scarlett's body laid in a white casket, her eyes closed and her wound cleaned. Surrounding her were pink, red, and white flowers, a few of them roses. But she would no longer be able hear their voices if they hadn't been plucked from the ground, for she was void of life.

Word of her death had spread fast among the roses. They were the ones her truly mourned her death, for they had spent a lot more time with her. They had spoken to her and sang to her; she had been one of their only human friends.

"And now she is gone," one red rose, far from the Guardians' funeral, lamented to a pink rose.

"Our efforts to become friends again failed," that pink rose added. "If only she could be brought back to life again."

"I doubt that would happen," the red rose said. "She was killed too close to her first death to make healing possible. Her body hadn't fully recovered before she died the second time."

"We only wanted to have her be our friend once more," the pink rose cried. "We only wanted to make her a home underground, where she could be alone if she wanted, and show her that we wished to speak with her again now that her parents and other humans would no longer try to make her not believe that we were really interacting with her."

"But our efforts were not enough," the red rose said. "We knew she wouldn't come willingly. We knew we would have to force her underground to show her that we meant no harm. Why did other people have to intervene?"

"Come home, child," the two roses, as well as the others around them, sang, in Scarlett's honor. "Join the ones who you've forgotten. Join the ones who you cast aside. Join the ones who you doubted. Come back to the forbidden ones from whom you were torn. Come down to the peaceful underground, to a place we've made just for you.

"Come child; come home. Come back to those who you once loved. Return to those who you once thought of as your friends. Yes, come back, child. Now that you are free, you can return. Just stay calm, and you won't have to worry about anything.

"Come, child. Return to those you left. Come back to those whom you were shamed for listening to.

"Come back to us, child, for you are no longer restrained, no longer forced to believe what isn't true. Join the ones who you've forgotten. Join the ones who you cast aside. Join the ones who you doubted. Come back to the forbidden ones from whom you were torn. Now that you are free, you can return.

"You can return."

Far away, the Guardians put the lid on Scarlett's casket and lowered her into the ground. But what they didn't know was that they were being watched by someone that they'd be quite surprised by if they knew- Scarlett herself. Her body had been unable to be saved, but that didn't mean that her soul hadn't.

She was unable to reach out to anyone aside from through dreams, unable to be seen, heard, or touched, but that didn't mean that she didn't exist or couldn't help anyone.

After all, one rarely sees a Guardian Angel, but that doesn't mean that they're not really there.

~The End~

A/N: So, did you like it? I know it's one of my shorter and less thought-out fanfictions, and that I should have made Scarlett have more/better flaws, but I don't think it was too terrible.  

(All follows, votes, and comments are appreciated. :)

I will upload a chapter every week unless otherwise stated.

I also posted this fanfiction on DeviantArt and Quotev under accounts of the same username as the one I have on this website.

Disclaimer: I don't own "Rise of the Guardians" (© DreamWorks Animation) or the Guardians of Childhood series (© William Joyce) that it was based off of.)