Chapter 10: Another One Down

Scarlett didn't really know her way back to Tooth's palace, so she just flew away from the North Pole, hoping she would be able to find it or one of Tooth's fairies, who could show her where it was. She flew for a few hours until she spotted something peculiar. Lying in the middle of a plain that was obviously used for crops during the growing season was a large, blue-gray bunny. Or, more specifically, the Easter Bunny. And he didn't appear to be moving.

Scarlett quickly flew down to him, afraid of what her powers might have caused to happen. Scattered about the area and his fur was a sparse dusting of golden and black sand. Sandy and Pitch. They had gotten to him. He lay on the ground, luckily still breathing, but unconscious nevertheless. Suddenly, he broke into a short fit of twitching, but then he went back to doing nothing. As Scarlett looked closer, she realized that he was trembling slightly. Something terrible had happened to him.

Scarlett looked around in a panic. She had to help him, but she didn't know how. She didn't even know what was wrong with him. But maybe Tooth would know. She had to get him to her so that she could help him.

Scarlett tried to pick him up, but she wasn't strong enough. And she still didn't know where Tooth's palace was, anyway. How could she get Bunny help?!

Suddenly, something that she recognized from the palace flying across the field- one of the little fairies.

"Hey!" Scarlett shouted, waving her arms in the air. The fairy stopped, flew up to her, and noticed Bunny, who broke out into another fit of spazzes. Seeming to know what needed to be done, the fairy worriedly held up a finger, as if to say "one second", and flew off. A few stressful minutes later, she had returned with what looked like about two hundred other fairies, who immediately started to pick up Bunny. Soon, they had him in the air and started flying him presumably to Tooth's palace. Scarlett was about to follow them when she noticed a figure watching them from a distance. It looked like Pitch. She didn't want him to attack Bunny again, so she flew towards him, hoping that she could keep him from doing so. Soon, however, it was proven that that wasn't necessary, as he was holding a bouquet of black roses, not a weapon. As soon as she saw them, she stopped and tried to fly away, but it was too late.

"Join the ones who you cast aside," they sang, albeit weakly since they had been plucked, and Scarlett relaxed and stopped flying, falling a short way to the ground. "Join the ones who you've forgotten. Come back to those who you once loved. Return to those who you once thought of as your friends." Pitch looked at her, worried, as she laid motionless on the ground and the roses tried to reach out to her.

"Scarlett?" he called. "What's wrong?" Scarlett didn't respond, for she was in the hazy state of partial hypnosis. Pitch bent down to her, and one of the roses he held managed to wrap itself around her arm, scratching her with its thorns. He suddenly appeared to realize that her state was being caused by something the roses were doing to her, and so he pulled the one rose off of Scarlett and threw all of the roses as far as he could, which was far enough that their weakened voices couldn't reach her.

Scarlett woke from her hypnotic state and sat up to find Pitch looking at her with an expression of concern.

"It was the roses," she explained, realizing what had happened. "Whenever I get close enough to them, they hypnotize me and try to pull me underground. They sing to me. I could hear them in my past life, too, but they didn't try to hypnotize me then. I don't know why they do in this life. Do you?" She had realized that he might have some sort of idea. He might know something that Tooth didn't, since he was evil and all.

He appeared to think for a second.

"No," he then said. "I'm sorry, but I don't."

"That's okay," Scarlett said. "I...have to leave." She wanted to fly away from Pitch and find Tooth's palace so that she could check up on Bunny and find out what had happened to him.

"Are you sure?" Pitch asked.

"I...yes," Scarlett responded, and, before he could have time to summon something to follow her with, she flew off as the sun began to rise. 

(A/N: All follows, votes, and comments are appreciated. :)

I will upload a chapter every week unless otherwise stated.

I also posted this fanfiction on DeviantArt and Quotev under accounts of the same username as the one I have on this website.

Disclaimer: I don't own "Rise of the Guardians" (© DreamWorks Animation) or the Guardians of Childhood series (© William Joyce) that it was based off of.)