Chapter 11: Loss

After quickly flying in the direction she had seen the fairies fly for a few minutes, Scarlett caught up to them, and followed them the rest of the way to Tooth's palace.

When Tooth saw them, her expression turned to horror, and her fairies quickly laid Bunny down on one of the platforms. She hovered over him and blew the black and gold grains of sand off of his fur.

"I found him like that," Scarlett told her. "In a field. What's wrong with him?"

"I don't really know," Tooth responded worriedly. "It looks like he was knocked out by Sandy's sand, but I don't know what Pitch did to him. It seems bad." Fear was in her eyes. "Maybe Sandy and Pitch have teamed up to...get rid of the others."

"Is he gonna be okay?" Scarlett asked.

"I...I d-don't know...," Tooth mumbled. "I don't know how to help him." She looked off into the distance, seemingly deep in her own thoughts, and then even more fear, worry, and panic made its way into her expression. "Scarlett..." Tooth pointed to something that she saw, and Scarlett looked where she pointed. There, far off in the sky, where two large clouds-like masses- one gold, and one black, blocking out the sun so that it was as dark as night. And they were rapidly coming closer to the palace.

"Oh no...," Scarlett mumbled, and Tooth hurriedly shoved a couple things into the winged spirit's arms. They were a peacock green bow with gold trimmings and a deep blue quiver full of white arrows.

"Pitch will probably attack with his Nightmares," Tooth told her. "We need to defend Jack...and Bunny. We wouldn't be able to move them in time." Scarlett looked back at Jack, who was also being kept on that part of the palace. "Try not to kill Sandy. Or Pitch."

Scarlett nodded and looked at the sandy masses, but, now that they were close enough, she could see what they really were. The black one was a mass of Nightmares, and the gold one was a mass of other creatures. All of them looked like they were ready for a fight.

They were now close enough to shoot. Scarlett began firing arrows at them, while Tooth hovered in front of Jack and Bunny with a sword in her hand, which she must have quickly grabbed from the same place she had gotten Scarlett's weapons. The sandy creatures were now upon them, trying to attack Tooth, Bunny, and Jack, but not Scarlett.

"What are you doing?!" Scarlett tried to shout to Sandy and Pitch, who were a bit of a ways away and supervising their armies. "Stop attacking them!" But they didn't seem to hear her amidst the chaos of the battle. Pitch began shooting with his own bow and arrows, and Sandy began to do so as well. It was getting harder and harder for Tooth and Scarlett to defend Jack and Bunny.

So it shouldn't have been a surprise when Scarlett was accidentally shot. Pitch hadn't meant to hit her, of course; he had been aiming for Jack, but she had unintentionally stepped into the arrow's path. She hadn't seen it amid all of the other dark sand in the area, and had had to move to avoid one of Sandy's arrows.

Scarlett clutched her chest where the arrow had hit her. It was still there. The pain was so immense that she collapsed on the ground, crying. Tooth looked at her with wide fearful eyes when she realized what had happened, and what was going to happen. There was nothing she could do. Even if she tried to help, Jack and Bunny would probably get killed as well.

So she could only continue to defend as the light left Scarlett's eyes, and, as she died, all artificial love for her was gone. All who had been affected by her power stopped what they were doing, ashamed by what they had felt and done. Even Pitch felt humiliated for chasing after this girl that he barely knew. He teleported away as all battle stopped. The male Guardians, even North and Bunny, who had stopped fighting, were horrified by what they had done, especially since it had resulted in injury and death.

(A/N: All watchers, favorites, and comments are appreciated. :)

I will upload a chapter every week unless otherwise stated.

I also posted this fanfiction on Quotev and Wattpad under accounts of the same username as the one I have on this website.

Disclaimer: I don't own "Rise of the Guardians" (© DreamWorks Animation) or the Guardians of Childhood series (© William Joyce) that it was based off of.)