Chapter 25

"Sex is one of my downfalls. I get sex any way I can get it. If I have to force somebody to do it, I do...I rape them; I've done that. I've killed animals to have sex with them, and I've had sex while they're alive."

-Henry Lee Lucas, a victim of bad parenting, was a confessed American serial killer. Lucas was arrested in Texas and, on the basis of his confessions, hundreds of unsolved murders attributed to him were officially classified as cleared. Lucas was convicted of murdering 157 people and condemned to death for a single case with an unidentified victim.

Chapter 25

The days passed quickly, like a hurricane ripping its way through a city; destroying more homes and more lives with each passing second. The rain had been falling heavily, big fat drops making endless pattering noises on my windowpane, keeping me from the nightmares that lurked in my sleep.

Each day new rain would come and wash away the old, the drain making long sucking sounds as the water filtered down into the pipes, only to be spat back out into the dirtied ocean and evaporated into the gloomy sky. That's what the pain of loosing George felt like, an endless cycle of new and old pain, ebbing and flowing like the waves of the ocean, but never stopping completely.

Sometimes my door would open and the smell of freshly cooked vegetables would fill the air. Then there would be a clatter, the plate placed on the floor, and the door would shut once again. I knew that nothing that had happened was my mother's fault, but I couldn't bear showing her the extent of what I was feeling out of fear of reliving the experience.

I delved into my background searches on all of the guards and shut my father out completely. He didn't seemed to mind and threw himself into his own work, certain that with the death of George there would be no more ghastly murders at the prison.

He couldn't have been more wrong. Because I knew that George wasn't the killer, I knew that whoever was causing terror among the inmates was still thriving in the chaos they had created.

It wasn't until a week had passed that I found exactly what I was looking for to back up my theory on the Russian guard, Alexi Mikhailov. Before he was a guard, he was a car mechanic.

As insignificant as that may sound, I knew my father's accident had been of no coincidence, and something had been done to his vehicle prior to his accident. If I was right, and someone had organized his near fatal slip off the side of the road, then the murderer was not only someone who worked with my father, but someone who was close and had the skills to get in and out of a situation unnoticed.

But before I accused him of anything, I needed to know for certain that he was the one who tampered with my father's car.

I scrolled through his history within the mechanic shop and came across the exact point I needed. He specialized in fixing the exact model of car my father owned, particularly with the engineering. He could have slipped in and out completely un-noticed and made one small change to the wiring or brakes to ensure my father would have a most unfortunate car accident.

Whoever did it knew that if he was seriously injured he wouldn't be able to return to work and investigate the case, leaving them to do whatever they wished within the prison and be virtually undetected. It was a reach, but maybe my father had seen or known something he wasn't supposed to, like the real killer of Harvey James, and they wanted to take him out before he told anyone else.

The only thing that didn't add up was that even though someone obviously meddled with the car, something would have happened to make him swerve off the side of the road. The police found no other skid marks or animal blood anywhere near the scene, and my fathers memory loss of the afternoon meant that no one would ever really know what made him lose control over the car.