The Awakening: After the 5th Wave

I wake up in the same position. Bens arm around me, mine around Sams torso. It takes a minute to collect my thoughts. We escaped the "death camp" before it crashed into pieces, the 5th wave is us, and Evans dead. Or so I think. There is absolutely no way he got out of that place in time. What if he did? Got out before the eyes took over. I learned a long time ago not to get my hopes up, so I push that thought to the back of my head.

I look around, Ben and Sam are asleep. I guess we are all exhausted from the events that just went down. We are the few lucky and to be alive right now. To my surprise the girl so called "Ringer" sees my lost expression and says confidently "Hey, Cassie is it?" She pauses, I nod. She continues "Ben never told me we would be taking on another body," I flinch at the word body as if it's a burden that I'm here. "your brother there is the whole reason he went back, be happy Ben even went back to save him. I don't know where you guys would be without our escape." She sneers. Wow this ringer is a tough one, I decide I like her. After all she did save us, and she seemed to take the rules of survival seriously. I'm lucky to even be here.

I reply "I never said thanks," her face still I'm a straight line, she looks back at me and bobs her head once. I guess that's a sign as your welcome. " how'd you know sa- I mean nugget?" She calmly says "I was our into your brothers troop in training, he's a tought kid. Ben and him really had a connection, they prayed together at night, Ben always comforted him. It was really strange actually. Now a days people are just so cold towards each other. " with that lasts statement I think 'like you' but this ringer chick must have a valid reason for how she acts. Nobody tells each others past...Too many good memories that are lost in time. But I smile too, Ben really treated my brother like a brother.

Then I realize, he kissed me. Not a full kiss but he did. I start thinking of if anything like that could happen. But him and Ringer seem to have a stronger connection than I thought, and the last time I trusted anyone they left me in a matter of seconds. Just... Gone.

In that Ben and Sam almost wake up at the same time. There eyes flutter open and then lazily movie their heads like I had a couple minutes ago. Ben smiles at me, I smile back. But once he looks around. It's becomes a frown. He realized the situation he was in. I frown too. We snap into reality when we wake up. This was one none of us wanted to have to open our eyes to. He moves his arm, And the heat from it slips away and it's left empty. He gets up and calls to ringer "how long till we get to wherever your taking us." She looks back "seems like the sleepyheads decided to finally come back, we are close. But the others may be on out trail. What do you suggest?" Ben pauses looking into space, hands on hips, and says in a surprising remark, "let them come."