Chapter Four: Cassie

All I remember is falling asleep next to Ben when we got to the camp. I wake up in the tent next to Sam who is fast asleep. It's early morning I can tell. Sam has slept through almost a whole day, must have been sleep deprived or something. Never new the schedule of the death camp, and I don't know if I should ask.

When I leave the tent, Ben sits on a rough patch of grass playing with some weeds, sticks, and grass. I plop next to him. He's making a cross, he do shied by crossing a think rope of grass around the center in an X shape. He looks at it for a while and hands it to me. " my mom always said there was a God, for a while I didn't believe. but now, as I sit here. Alive. Breathing. I think to myself 'There must be one, I'm still freaking here on this torn up planet of ours.with seven billion people dead and I'm still here...'" He pauses and looks into my eyes and a tear escapes his eyes. I've never seen him so vulnerable before. And he encloses his rough hands of his around my two that hold the cross and stutters "Cassie we are lucky to be here, and I couldn't have done it without you...."I'm crying now.

We are here crying, that we are alive. But we are because we need each other . We saves each other when no one else could. Then I put my hang out his cheek and say "thanks...." With a smile. He grins weakly. And He releases his hands and my hands are free. Then he leaves. Like that. I see where he's headed to. Ringer.