Chapter 9: i didn't know you played the piano

Caroline's pers. May 21 7;56 am

I got inside the bus and sat in the back this time. I still feel emotionless a bit after what happened. The bus stops at its usual place and picked up the same group of kids. Max goes to our usual place with her headphones in, she was always into classic rock bands. She doesn't look around to see where I am, she just sits and continues to tap her fingers to the beat in her ears.

May 21; 3;43 pm(you actually have to hear the song because without it it looks super weird)

Last period aka Music class has finished and I'm allowed to be here until its 4 so I decide to practice my piano lessons. I put my headphones in and start to play the beginning of Twenty one Pilots, "Implicit Demand For Proof" which I can't do well since my hands are too small to get all notes. I start playing roughly. Into my first 11 minutes I try my last time before I need to leave, I try my best to do this one. I close my eyes, start again and start to nail it, I then open them to see someone else helping me. Max. She doesn't bother to look up, but we both play the part well. And as we get into the singing, Max starts singing the part. "I know you're not a liar and I know you could set fire this day, go ahead and make me look away," and as the bell rung she stopped playing, I did as well.

"I didn't know you played the piano," I said.

She lay on top of the huge, heavy, elegant piano as if it were a table. She shrugged. "Some people hide the truth because it doesn't always need to be said,"

I figured out she wasn't just talking about the piano. I soon left before she wanted to say anything else.

Max's perspective May 21 4;00 pm

Caroline left before I wanted to discuss what happened about the news the other day. But when I got up she left. All she left was an invitation to Mindy's party this weekend.

Like she promised.