EIGHT: Weird people

Again! It was 12:20 a.m. and I was hearing voices from my hall. I got up, this time determined to hear what they were hiding from me.

     I put my legs down, I quickly regretted doing that and lifted them up again, the floor was too cold. Debating whether to go down or not, then at last put my legs down again.

     I walked steadily trying not to make slightest noise. I crossed the verandah and peeped towards the stairs.

    I was already in hearing range by then, so I decided to stay there and not take risks by going closer to them.

     "What about you and Aleeza then?" I could hear Zaid.

     "We'll stay here. She has a college here, she gets good grades. I have my job, what else do we need for a livelihood?" Avhni exclaimed.

     "Mom! Why are we even discussing this? You may love him still and all. But get that straight, he doesn't mean a thing to me. I am NOT following his orders." Zaid's voice.

     Zaid's voice, "Plus, you should stop me from leaving what if someone comes to have you again?"

     What did that mean?

     "I need to protect you both." Zaid ended. Who was 'he' in all the sentences? I wondered.

     My Mom loved someone? Damn! She's having an affair? She never seems suspicious though. In fact, she still used to look at Dad's photos. What's going on?!

     "Protect? Baby, I am not the same Avhni that was before Aleeza's birth. I can protect myself!" Avhni assured Zaid.

     This is growing weird. Maybe I shod just sleep and forget. But nah! My curiosity won't allow that.

     "No Mom. You are too naive. I am not leaving you two, that's it. Say him on his stupid face to stop acting like he cares and keep his ass out of 'my' family," Zaid wanted to shout but didn't.

     In the end, it was Mom he was speaking to. We never lifted our voices higher than our Mom, that was a rule.

     Shit! I heard footsteps that were climbing stairs, it must be Zaid. I ran towards my room trying to be as quiet as possible.

     I left my door open in the rush and hopped into my bed, took the blanket over me and waited to hear any sound.

    I heard footsteps that were now nearing. My room came first on the verandah if you count from the stairs, opposite to me was Zaid's, beside Zaid's was Avhni's and opposite to hers was the locked Guest room.

    I heard Zaid open his room but then I hear footsteps coming towards my room, damn! Now in my room.

     Holy crap! Near me.

    Shit! Shit! Shit! I sensed Zaid sitting on the corner of my bed. Did he caught me eavesdropping? I'm fucked!

     He kept a hand on my feet, I calmed down my heavy breaths immediately.

     He then stood up and started walking, I heard him whisper, "I love you, Leez."

    Then, I heard my door creaking, then shut at last.

     Crap! He figured that I was listening to them? Or not? And who was that 'he' they were talking about? What did Avhni mean that she isn't the same like she was before my birth? Oh god! What's going on?!

     I tried hard to sleep but kept tossing here and there on my bed. My mind was raging curiously.

 My mind was raging curiously