Intro) 1929

The sun poured out over New York City- a sweltering afternoon in the summer of 1929- when the delicate blond and the gentle Romani first met. After rescuing him from an attacking group of older boys, the brunette instantly realized that there was something different about this boy.

      "Hey ya okay there, buddy?" he tentatively questioned. There was no response for a second as the smaller kid sorted through what had just happened. An outreached hand lay before him, a simple offering. The saintly outline of a figure extended away from the hand, shrouded by the sunlight- probably just a stupid adult come to save him from the bullies.

      "Yeah, I just love being punched in the stomach and stomped on. I go outta my way to make sure it happens at least once a week." He pushed himself up, ignoring the help that was offered.
As he rose, the other took careful note of the blond's impressive array of bruises that were faded at too many different rates to count- "Y'sure ya don't mean twice a week?" Bubbabruiser (as his mother, Sarah, called him) only huffed in reply.

      "Y'got a smart name to go with that smart mouth?" he continued when he received no reply.
      "Steve," he answered, "And you are?"
      "Bucky." He extended his hand again and this time Steve took it, shaking firmly. Bucky smiled at the boy as dropped hands. Steve gave an inquisitive and slightly confused look at the smile shinning before him, rays of sun beating down on his mud caked face. He was strange- not like the boys Steve usually met around school and in the neighborhood. If you'd-a told him then, that the strange boy in front of him would later become his best friend- little Stevie would have laughed in your face.

      Never mind mentioning that later, they could perhaps be something much more.