Chapter Three

Today was the day; she was officially marrying Nikolai and becoming the Queen of Ravka. Her mind was filled with distant memories of a poor orphan girl living a simple life with little purpose. If you had told her that one day the Ravkan crown would be sitting on her head, she would've laughed in your face before returning to her chores.

A small smile formed on her lips at the thought, before it transformed into a deep frown. How could she smile at memories from the orphanage? Memories she had made with Mal, the boy she had loved with all her heart, the boy she had killed to save them all.

A single tear rolled down her face before the door to her room burst open.

"Alina what are you doing? Why aren't you getting ready?" Her friend cried, her red curls bobbing around her face as she rushed in the room. "Have you done anything to prepare?"

Alina couldn't help but laugh. The redhead had a talent for making her smile when she needed it most. After all, they'd been through, she was surprised either of them could laugh at all.

"Nice to see you too Genya." She rolled her eyes, but the smile stayed on her face. Genya's only good eye squinted at the soon-to-be-bride, showing her clear distaste.

Without a word, the second army's leader dug through her closet until she found what she was looking for; a magnificent white wedding dress fit for a queen.

Genya held it up and sighed. "It's beautiful." She whispered.

The dress was made of a light flowing material that pooled on the floor in elegant waves. It was designed to rest just off of a person's shoulders and from there dip in between the wearer's breasts.

The sleeves were light, which she liked since it meant they wouldn't cling to her skin. She didn't want to feel trapped.

Decorating the white material were sparkling silver suns as if to remind everyone that she was the legendary Sun Summoner. As if they could forget who she was. Sometimes she prayed they would.

Alina couldn't argue, it was beautiful, but it wasn't the type of dress she wanted. Someone apparently more important than she was - either one of Nikolai's advisors or the King himself - had picked it out for her. In her opinion, the dress was a representation of things she had come to resent. She didn't want a big fancy wedding with expensive outfits, and she certainly didn't want to be put on display. She'd had enough of that.

"Yeah." She replied half-heartedly, hoping Genya wouldn't notice her lack of enthusiasm.

"You know," She said softly. "You don't have to go through with this." Hanging the dress back up safely, she walked over and laid a comforting hand on the Sun Summoner's shoulder.

Alina's hand rose to rest on her friend's as she stared at her scarred face. "I'm fine, Genya, really. I want this."

They stayed like that for a moment; Genya's golden eye staring into Alina's brown ones. A small smile was plastered on her face in an effort to convince her that her words were the truth. She knew the girl could probably see through her mask, but she kept it up anyway.

"Alright," She mumbled, clearly not completely fooled. "But if you ever want to talk or you change your mind, just find me." With that, the once Tailor sat Alina down and prepared her for her wedding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alina took a deep breath. Then another. An attendant had escorted her into this room moments before with the message to wait here until another palace servant came to retrieve her. From there she would begin her journey down the aisle in front of an enormous crowd of people.

Before the woman had brought her to the room she was now patiently waiting in, Alina had used her time after Genya left to inspect her appearance.

She stared at her reflection - now enhanced thanks to her friend's skills - and took in her outfit.

The first thing she noticed was her hair. The majority of it sat heavy on top of her head, held up by more pins than she could count. The few strands left to fall were wrapped together in a design that was not quite a braid but not an average ponytail. She wore what looked like a tiara of silver suns around the main mound of hair above her and had separate matching decorations strung through the rest.

The white and silver of her dress collided with the white and silver of her hair, making her look more like a ghost than a girl. What would Mal say if he could see her? Would he tell her she looked beautiful and wish her luck or curse her name for moving on so quickly after his death?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a sudden knock on her door.

Alina stood in the corner of her little room, staring out the window. She could see the palace entrance below; Ravkan citizens flooding in to witness the royal wedding.

Her thoughts strayed to the first time she had come to the palace and the man that had guided her during her time here. The man that just wanted to rule, no matter how many lives he had to end to make it happen.

She could hardly believe her eyes when she'd seen him lurking in the shadows five days ago. He was dead; she'd killed him. If he was alive that would mean she'd killed Mal for no-

No. She wasn't going to think about that now. There was no way the Darkling was alive; it had to have been a trick. Her mind - not used to having nothing to worry about - had conjured his image, that's all.

Those were her final thoughts on the matter before a servant arrived at the door to the room, as she was told he would.

As Alina made the short walk to the throne room, she managed to take one last deep breath before the music began to play, signaling for her to enter. It was slow and sweet, but a part of her resented it. Why now? As much as she loved Nikolai, was she making the right choice?

Images of the man she was about to marry flashed through her mind - his kind smile, his love for his crew and his people, and even his steady love for her. Wearing a smile of her own, she knew she could do this even as silent thoughts of Mal and the Darkling warred in the back of her mind.

When the doors opened and she saw her soon-to-be-husband, the King of Ravka, standing straight ahead next to two empty thrones. Her first steps towards him were confident, each a step forward for not only Ravka but her healing heart as well. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's going to happen? 

Will Alina keep walking or will she never reach the end of the aisle?

What's the Darkling up to?

Will Alina ever really be over Mal?

Vote/comment if you want to know the answers!

-Amberly