Chapter 17: Recovering

Evening came where the pink-haired kunoichi was silently staring down at the river, glumly in her thoughts.

"Sakura!" A voice called out happily, which made her look at Ino. "It looks like everyone's back. Come on now, let's go to the hospital."

A couple of minutes later, they head over to the reception desk...

"I'm going to see Choji and you?" Ino asked in a frown.

"I'll go ahead to see Naruto and Sasuke..." Sakura said with assurance. Once, she was about to open the door, she overheard inside that the boy that she loved got away, much to her dismay as her hand was dropped away steadily from the handle. Then at that moment, she was startled by Tsunade's voice as she glanced at her.

"What's wrong...? You're Sakura Haruno, right?" She questioned smilingly. "The information has spread quickly." They both entered inside, which stunned the blonde-haired ninja.

"Naruto..." the pink-haired kunoichi murmured after she saw how brutally damaged her teammate was. By the looks on his face, he looked away remorsefully and not being able to make straight eye contact.

"I heard that you were severely wounded, but you're fine now," Tsunade said, feeling glad at the treatment he's in.

Naruto spoke out weakly while gazing down at the soft blankets. "Sakura... I'm sorry..."

The pink-haired kunoichi watched him for a second blankly, then bluntly shrugged it off by questioning with a beam. "Why are you apologizing?" She walked over to the window and opened the curtains wide open and continued on to hide her sadness. "You look really weird! You're just like a mummy, aren't you?"

"I... I'm sorry..." the blonde-haired ninja muttered faintly.

"Listen, the weather's good today. I opened them, now-" the pink-haired kunoichi was cut off by him.

"Sakura! I'll definitely keep my promise!! I said that it was a lifelong promise! Always," Naruto assured her sincerely.

"It's alright..." she said simply.

"Sakura! He's trying to-" Shikamaru tried to affirm strongly but got interrupted.

"Like I said... I won't go back on my word! Because that's my ninja way," Naruto grinned positively at his teammate, which made Sakura feel saddened and heartwarming by his vow as to where Tsunade and Shikamaru smiled at him proudly.

The pink-haired kunoichi turned around and was about to leave the room. She stopped midway there and apologized. "I'm sorry, Naruto... I had to make you wait a while." She looked over her shoulder with a solemn smile, declaring. "Next time, we'll do it together!"

The blonde-haired ninja nodded in agreement and notified her. "Oh, I almost forgot. Kankuro and Temari came in here a while ago and told me that Gaara is going to tell you something important."

Sakura's eyes widened quickly in shock and asked. "Huh? Didn't they already leave yet?"

"Yeah. Sooner, about less than 1 minute," Shikamaru checked over his watch and yawned lazily.

"Okay, thanks," the pink-haired kunoichi closed the door behind her and began to sprint out of the hospital to go find the Sand Siblings and thought worriedly. "What could it be? I haven't spoken to him for a long time. I mean, he's been busy taking care of other priorities with them. Why is he avoiding me all of a sudden? I tried talking to him, but he won't speak up."

As she passed through the crowds of people working around, she finally reached the main entrance of the village and kept panting in exhaustion. Unfortunately, when she stopped by, she stared at the view of the empty road with the winds slightly brushing across the trees and came to a realization.

"They're... gone," she said quietly to herself and questioned her mind with curiosity. "Gaara... What is it that you're going to tell me?"

Much to her disappointment, she looked down with a frown as she closed her eyes and decided to head back home to get some rest.

Later on in the evening, Jiraiya gives Naruto a chance to leave with him for three years to train to defend himself against Orochimaru and the Akatsuki.

"Would you care to do it?" The white-haired sannin asked in a suggestion, hoping for him to take it.

"No. Right now, the only thing that I want to focus on is saving Sasuke first," Naruto said as he declined his offer. "And when that time comes, I'll make sure I'll beat that bastard Orochimaru and whatever the crap he's putting him in."

"Idiot! Do you really think you can defeat that guy easily?! Just look at what state you're in!!" Jiraiya shouted out angrily that shocked the blonde-haired ninja, looking away dumbstruck into silence. He sighed tiredly and continued on. "Look, don't underestimate him and the new enemies that you are about to encounter. Sasuke is way beyond the point of returning back here to this village."

"Yeah... I guess you're right. But still... I'll do what it takes to bring him back. Based on the offer you gave me, I'll accept it," Naruto said, clenching his fists boldly.

"Well, there's nothing wrong but to help and train you by the time you are ready,"Jiraiya noted as they both stared quietly at the sunset outside the window.

Elsewhere when Sasuke arrives at Orochimaru's lair to become his apprentice, the Akatsuki assemble to discuss the new turn of events while informing them that their mission is more vital than ever.

"I see... Shall we take an inspection on what the plan is?" One of the members asked slyly.

"Indeed, our time is fast approaching," a mysterious leader announced evidently as he continued to laugh along with the rest of them evilly in the depths of darkness.

Without a doubt, everyone else was taking their initiative to take responsibility for themselves, now that they knew that the battles were just about to begin.