Chapter 12 - Consequentialism

Justin and the other flight attendants were on the runway, busy refueling the plane. They had managed to find a truck with the keys still in – along with the dead driver. They knew as soon as the plane landed that something was wrong, and decided to refuel the plane after letting the passengers off the plane. The pilot's reason for making a decision being that the passengers can "search for more survivors", but Justin knew the pilot just keeping all the remaining supplies on the plane for him and his employees.

Justin knew this was wrong, but it was now "survival first". The collapse of civilization was imminent and he knew that the nice and generous would go first. The seven remaining flight attendants all stood by and watched as the truck pumped fuel into the aircraft. Eric, the co-pilot stood on the stairwell into the walkway, peering over them as if he had power. The pilot was still in the plane, trying to figure out where to go next.

------

Howls echoed the immigration center as infected, made up of refugees, soldiers and airport employees alive began scrambling up the escalators and stairs towards the passengers. The hall soon erupted into screams as people turned and attempted to run back up the escalators.

"Go back up!" One man cried out as infected began dragging people in the front of the crowd down into the mass of zombies.

Charlie and Claudia at last seemed concerned on their children's whereabouts, and began eagerly following Rosita as they joined the crowd of terrified passengers. Rosita vaulting up the steps of the escalator three at a time, wincing as a boney finger scraped against her heel.

Charlie and Claudia pushed past people, in some cases causing the person to fall over and become bait for the infected.

"Get the fuck out of the way!" Charlie shouted as he pushed past a woman, Charlie was definitely the "survival first" kind of guy. However, he was pushed back himself by a white-suited man that shouted "Move it , Bozo!"

"Charlie!" Claudia cried out helplessly as she kept running, valuing herself more than her husband. Charlie got stomped on by several shoes belonging to people behind him. Before he could even figure out what had happened, bodies piled on top of him, consisting of both human and infected. It was impossible to move with everyone struggling to escape at once. Infected sunk their teeth into the helpless wiggling passengers, Charlie screamed for help as he kicked his feet against a snapping zombie that was a former TSA agent, who was stuck at the bottom of the pile. However, Rosita ran to the aid of her (former) boss and grabbed him by the head and pulled him out of the pile o' people. Making no time to make sure this process was as "painless" as possible, as she could hear other zombies climbing over the pile as she did so.

"Come, sir" She ordered as she wrapped her arm around him and dragged him away from the horde of infected.

---

The howls of the undead bounced off the walls of the airport, until being heard by Jack as a chorus of wails.

"Shit.." Ronald whispered, before the sound of pounding footsteps filled the hall, coming from the immigration center.

"Get back to the plane!" David cried out before taking off back to the gate. Everyone else following, with Rachel dragging along her brother. Jack yanked Aiden's hand and pulled him close towards him, not risking the loss of his brother a second time.

As the students passed the bookstore they hid in, they collided with a crowd of terrified passengers. A man pushed Jack out of his way, causing him to loose grasp of Aiden's hand.

"Aiden?!" Jack cried out helplessly, the idea of losing his brother again haunted his subconscious again before a body fell on top of him. The person twitched madly before Jack realized there was black pus oozing out of their throat. Jack began hyperventilating as he tried to push the body off of him before the person turned, their eyes fading from colour. Then, Jack remembered the assault rifle, he pulled it out from underneath him. He aimed it on the body only to find it's teeth clenched against the barrel, the person growling in an animalistic style. Without a second thought, Jack pulled the trigger, an explosion of blood, black pus, bones and brain blinded Jack as he scrambled away from the body. The force of the weapon had flung him back slightly, which allowed a swift escape. His ears rung, but he could hear muffled screams.