Chapter 9 - Chaos

Jack and Aiden couldn't stop clutching each other silently. Both had thought the other was dead and both were dumbfounded the other was alive. Jack had never thought he would feel this way about his brother, that being actually caring about his safety. Just the thought of seeing his younger brother as one of those things still haunted him even as he had his arms wrapped around Aiden's body. Everything had calmed down in the cabins since the people from the lavatories got rescued. The Asian girl that was with Aiden was sitting on the other side of the cabin,  sitting on the floor reading the in-flight magazine

"Hash brown?" Justin, the flight attendant asked that broke the silence between the two brothers. Jack glanced around and noticed all the remaining flight attendants were rationing hash browns, chicken, scrambled eggs and various cups of soda to the remaining passengers. They both glanced up at the man and noticed he was holding two hash browns in his hand.

"Sorry, this flight was only equipped with so much food. We only planned to fly for two hours, we have to save the rest for the remainder of the flight " Justin said scratching the back of his head nervously as Aiden and Jack grabbed their hash browns.

"Thank you." Aiden said quietly as Justin moved on to some more passengers. Aiden then began gazing towards the suitcase forts, reminding Jack of the horror that lies beyond them.

"Is something wrong?" Jack asked as he took a bite out of his hashbrown. Aiden turned to look at him.

"I can't stop thinking about their faces, Jack." Aiden replied quietly. "Their cold, dead stares as they race towards you. It makes your entire body freeze." He said with a shudder.

"It's okay, you don't have to be scared anymore, we're safe behind the suitcase fort." Jack reassured his brother before giving him another hug.

"Promise?" Aiden asked timidely. Jack then sighed, he really didn't want to say something cheesy, but he was willing to do whatever it took.

"I will protect you, Aiden, you will get out of this alive, you understand?" Jack asked his brother, followed by Aiden nodding silently. Jack gave his brother another hug before feeling himself getting poked on the shoulder.

"What?" Jack hissed as he turned and found his friend, David with his phone in his hand.

"So much for 'wasting my money', huh?" David asked with a sneer. "Look what I found! List of every safezone established in the world!" He boasted as he showed Jack his screen. Sure enough, there were a list of safe zones by continent. There was the location and city listed in the name with the status being next to it. Jack's eyes scanned the screen, searching for the airport they were heading to. He saw numerous safe zones with green text next to them saying they were 'secure'.

"Where's  Dubai International Airport?" Jack asked as David swiped down the near endless list.

"Hold on a minute." David hissed as he pushed back his long brown bangs that covered his forehead. "Wait, here it is!" David said as he stopped the screen from scrolling down. Jack stared at the name for only a moment before he realized something was wrong.

"Wait, what does that red text mean?" Jack asked before the entire plane shook. People screamed as a couple bags tumbled off the fortress due to the abrupt turbulence. This was followed by the howls of the infected as people quickly rushed to rebuild the wall.

"Fuck, I dropped my phone!" David cried out as he crawled around on the ground, looking for it.

"Wait, here it is!" Aiden said quietly as he handed it to David, who nodded towards him as if saying thanks.

"Ah, shit!" David exclaimed, Jack took one look at the screen and knew what was wrong.

"Error, no connection found" The screen now read.

"What the hell?" Jack asked curiously. "But it was fine a minute ago-"

"I know, maybe the turbulence has something to do with it." David shrugged as he began playing around with the phone, trying to get the internet back up again.

"Look!" Someone cried out, pointing outside a window. Without question, people began glancing outside the windows to the direction the person was pointing. Jack glanced out and was immediately shocked.

There was a massive cloud emerging from the ground, it was going up and out in a mushroom shape that could only be assumed as one thing.

An atom bomb.

"Holy shit." David mumbled as he dropped his phone in shock.

"W-where are we over right now?" Jack asked David curiously. 

"M-mumbai I think." He answered. 

"With India having a population of almost 2 billion, it's no surprise that things went so bad there that fast that they were forced to use a nuke.." Jack overheard the old man mumbling to himself. He hadn't said much since the outbreak Jack had just realized.

Jack glanced back at Aiden, who was among the crowds of passengers as they gaped in awe towards the atomic blast. This was definitely the source behind the loss in communication. However, now Jack was thinking, just how fucked up the world was now. If India was already driven to use a nuclear weapon, just a day after the first report of the disease in Indonesia...

..What was his chances of surviving? Let alone Aidens?

________________

FINALLY, I GOT TIME TO WRITE ANOTHER  CHAPTER!!

When I started, I was afraid I wouldn't remember where I left off lol

On the other hand, I am so sorry that it took so long to update my story. :c school is literally killing me :(