Chapter 14

When we arrive at the venue for the dinner, I am surprised to find so many people. I thought it would be more up close and personal but there are at least seventy people here. Jasmine begins introducing me to some of her friends and I quickly pick up a pattern. They're all rich, handsome, and appear to be alone.

As everyone makes their way to a table, I glance around in hopes of seeing Jackson but I don't see him. When Jasmine picks a table, I look around at the people around us. Beside me is the man I've been hoping to see all night. He is talking to the man beside him when Jasmine reaches past me and touches his arm. "Jackson, this is my friend Emery."

Jackson turns to me with wide eyes and I smile sweetly. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lancaster."

He takes a deep breath. "Nice to meet you."

I slip my hand onto his lap beneath the table and give his thigh a gentle squeeze as I lean forward to shake the next man's hand. "Emery Smith. Nice to meet you."

His eyes light up from me acknowledging him and he shakes my hand. "Thomas Duke. It's a pleasure."

Someone else at the table calls his name and I sit back in my chair. "The pleasure's all mine," I say softly.

I place my hands on my lap and Jackson leans towards me. "What are you doing here?"

"Jasmine invited me. You know Jasmine, right?" I ask with a polite smile.

He glares at me. "I don't know what game you're playing but I won't participate."

"I don't know what you mean, Mr. Lancaster," I say innocently.

Shaking his head, he sits back in his chair. Jasmine winks at me as she sips on a glass of champagne. We eat dinner as everyone makes small talk. "So what do you do, Emery?" Thomas asks me.

Jackson is taking a drink so I subtly slip my hand onto his lap, causing him to cough on his drink. Thomas gives his a questioning look and Jackson's face turns red. "Excuse me."

I smile at Thomas. "I'm an assistant."

He nods. "Well, if you're ever in need of a job or something give me a call."

He pulls a business card out of his pocket and hands it to me. "Thank you."

"No problem. A beautiful girl like you won't have any trouble finding a good job."

Jasmine leans in, joining in on our conversation. "I took her to a photo shoot with me today. She'd be an excellent model."

"I agree," he nods.

I'm afraid to see Jackson's reaction so I decide not to look. When he removes my hand from his lap, I know he's irritated. We listen to the commotion around us and I wonder who his ex is. I look around the room for girls who could possibly be his type and I find a stunning tall brunette standing near a group of men. We have similar features but what makes us stand apart is her height and beauty. She's so tall and beautiful. I wonder if she's a model too. "What's her name?" I ask aloud.

"Sophie," Jackson answers immediately.

I glance at him and notice he's avoiding eye contact. "That's her, isn't it?" His eyes find mine but he doesn't respond. "Excuse me."

I stand, as do the men at the table. Jackson clears his throat. "May I walk you to the restroom?"

"I think I'd rather take my friend. Thanks."

I look back at Jasmine and she quickly stands. She leads the way to the bathroom and the fake smile falls from my face. "Are you okay?" she asks worriedly.

"She's beautiful. How can I compete with that?" I ask.

She sighs. "Look, I was in the wrong when I told you about his ex. That's not my place to tell you. So please don't let this ruin your relationship with him. It has just begun and I can see a future for you two."

I nod slowly and she goes into a stall. After our short break, we return to the table. Every time he looks in her direction, I feel my body dripping with jealousy. Perhaps this is why he didn't ask me to come. Sipping on my fresh glass of wine, I watch a few couples dance to the slow music.

When Thomas asks me to dance, I quickly finish my glass and take his hand. We slowly sway back and forth to the music. I ask about his life but I can't seem to listen because the only man I can think about is Jackson but all he seems to care about is Sophie. When I look back towards the table, I notice he is no longer there. I quickly scan the room and see him standing near the drink table talking to a man.

My body tenses when I see Sophie walking towards him. She places her hand on his chest and kisses his cheek. They smile warmly at each other and I can't take it anymore. "Thanks for the dance, Thomas but I think I'm going to look for Jasmine."

"Sure. Let me know if you need help," he says with a smile.

Instead of searching for Jasmine, I go out the back door where I find a garden. I follow the trail of stepping stones through the garden until I reach a wooden gazebo with lights hanging in it. Just past it is a lake.

As the wind blows past me, I think about Jackson and I. We haven't been together for long so it's hard to tell where things will take us. And even though I said I wanted to take things slow, I know I have done things that say different. These past two weeks have been so unreal that I feel like I'm not even the same person anymore. My sister betrayed me and I'm dating my boss. What will life throw at me next?

**************************
Vote ★ Comment ★ Follow