Chapter 7

I squeal in fright. He shot the wooden table right next to me.
"Well, I'm not going to. But everyone heard a gunshot, so they think you're dead. Let's keep it that way." He smiles and puts his gun back on his belt.
"I'm Sam." He holds out his hand for me to shake.
I take a step back, "Ella."
"Look, Ella, you're probably scared to death and I get why. But you're safe with me."
I'm still trying to analyze the situation. "Why are you helping me?"
"Because I don't let pretty girls die."
What did he just say to me? Did he call me pretty? We just met... and I don't like him.
"What is this place?" I ask, breaking the silence.
"A place to kill Glorians. Think of it as a human slaughterhouse."
A human slaughterhouse? Great, thanks for putting that image into my mind. I take another step back from the creepy, yet attractive man standing in front of me.
"So those people down there, people like Ace, kill people like me?"
"Pretty much." He takes a bite of the apple that was sitting on his food tray.
"And what do you do, sit up here and just watch?"
"No, of course not! Every week or so they bring in a new victim, and every week or so I'm here to stop them. Sometimes I have to let them die though, just to cease suspicion."
"You're sick," I respond, a disgusted look on my face. "So I'm just one of the 'pretty girls' that you save each week?"
"Sounds about right."
Silence overtakes the cold, small room.
"Well, get me out of here!"