Chapter 14

Ella's P.O.V
     I come out of the bathroom and search around for something to lay down on. In the back of the store I find a section full of yoga matts. Who buys yoga matts from a gas station?

I grab a black one from the box and lay it down away from all of the windows. I want to stay as hidden as possible. I open my backpack and pull out a strip of beef jerky and a water bottle.

"Guess this is dinner," I say to myself. I rip into the jerky. "Yum."
Sam's P.O.V
     I grab my old, worn-out backpack from behind a table. I fill it with water and strips of beef jerky. I reach down and feel my gun in its holster.

"Let's go," I say to myself. I feel so stupid for leaving her. What was I thinking, just letting her go out by herself? I probably shouldn't leave all of the teenagers here by themselves, but I couldn't care less what they do. I care what Ella does. I care about her safety.

I move the cabinet off of the wall and step out on to the ledge. I find the hidden ladder and climb down it as fast as I can. I lightly jog down the tarred pavement until I reach the abandoned cement road. The Guard camps are to my right behind a short, stone wall. What if she went towards them? What if a Guard took her-- killed her? It would be all my fault.