3

Your Point Of View

I faded in and out of consciousness as I was driven to the hospital by the police who shot me. I couldn't feel anything, the numbness took control of my body and mind. I heard an unfamiliar voice talking to me, although it all came to my brain underwater. No matter how hard I tried to revive myself, I couldn't.

I remember the first time I met Dally. It must have been May, and I was new-ish to town. I'd been living in my apartment downtown for nearly two weeks. That one particular Friday it was the Nightly Double. It was my first time going, since last week they were playing a movie that seemed less than interesting. I was sitting near the back of the small drive-in, hoping not to draw attention to myself. I barely knew anyone, except two friends from school, who I know know are Socs. I can't remember their names now...

I didn't notice he was standing beside me. I ignored him. I wasn't enjoying the movie much anyways, just the basic beach movie that's like any other. I usually go places for the drama, not to get involved, just watch. I was in the middle of observing a small fist fight between two guys when he tapped me on the shoulder.

"Who you think's gonna win?"

I didn't bother to look at him when I said sarcastically, "the redhead," I laughed, since he was obviously losing.

"You new around here?"

That's when i looked at him, when we made eye contact. His eyes, like solid fragments of ice. They were so pretty.

"Yeah." I nodded after a moment.

I mean, my eyes were alright, they had this greenish-blue look to them, making them more grey than anything. I had brown hair, long enough that I could at least put it in a side braid without it having to constantly fall out.

He shook his head and turned back to face the fight, "My name's Dallas Winston."

I remember my eyes widening at the mention of his name, since he's his name travelling the halls at school, even though he doesn't attend. I've heard about him, not good things.

"You're Dallas Winston?" I sputtered.

"So you've heard of me?" He smirked, and caught me a side glance.

"Only a little." I said cooly, hoping my nervousness wouldn't show through. "You sure got one rep there."

"You wouldn't believe."

We stood in silence for a minute, watching as the fuzz ripped the two boys a part. I knew lots of people like Dally, well not quite like Dal. Dal was sure tougher than the guys I knew back home. Dallas was more of a hood, he got into more danger, more trouble, swore a whole lot more, and got caught doing more.

"Who do you think you are?" I remember saying, but not offensively.

"What do you mean?" He looked at me, questioning my reasoning.

"You go around causing trouble." I began, but then gazed at my shoes. "I know a lot of people like you." I said quietly.

"Is that right?"

"Yeah."

"You know nothing about me."

"I know enough." I sighed. "You're like me."

He gazed upwards, "Oh, and how's that?"

I paused, although somehow knowing that the spark between us wasn't fading. "We don't try and let anyone in. I can tell you're like that too, I guess. We've been hurt too many times."

He stood quiet.

I continued, "I don't want to get hurt again either." I sat against the back of a truck behind us. "I feel too much."

We didn't talk for a moment, and silence stood between us. The fight was gone know, and we both stared at the ground. It wasn't an awkward silence, unlike me and my cousin's similar conversation, it was just calming.

"What did it happen?" He questioned about me getting hurt.

"I was twelve." I paused, "Murder."

He nodded, "Ten, abuse." 

We stood for a moment, letting the soft breeze of the night gently blow between us, the gap closed as he leaned in and kissed me.