Chapter 1: Tuesday

Tonight ended the same as every other, with her crawling from the bed of another lover

Sierra puckered her lips as she reapplied her lipstick, wiping the edges with the tip of her finger. She mused her hair, hoping to give it a little more life after the sweaty tumble through satin sheets.

"You don't have to rush off..." Firm lips traced the shell of her ear, hot breath dancing over her skin, "Marcy won't be back until tomorrow evening. There was some kind of storm back east, her flight got delayed." Jason's palms pressed against her thighs as his arousal pressed into her ass cheek.

Sierra met his dark eyes in the mirror as she popped the lid back onto her lipstick. When had she turned into this girl she wondered? One that snuck around in the shadows of another woman's bedroom?Had she fallen so far down the hole of depravity that she no longer cared who she burned on the way down?  She didn't like when she was forced to question herself and her behavior. There was still a sliver of her heart that had been tucked away, and remained completely untarnished by her self-sabotage.

Sierra had to hold back the urge to purge the chicken salad she had devoured in the cab ride over as the guilt began to gnaw at her stomach. The feeling of his body against hers was only making her skin crawl. She danced out of his arms, moving toward the bedroom with graceful steps, "You know that I don't do sleepovers."

"That makes sense with the randoms, but I'm not a random, sweetheart." Jason followed her out of the bathroom, leaning against the door frame as he watched her slip her feet back into her strapped heels.

"Of course you're not a random, Jay. You're my Tuesday night guy." Sierra replied as she bent forward and adjusted the strap of her heel. She knew her words would be a blow to his inflated ego. He thought that he was special to her, as if she didn't have someone else waiting in the wings to replace him. Sierra knew it wouldn't be long before she grew tired of him. It was always the same dance, just a different partner.

Her eyes locked on the picture of the pretty brunette as she stood up. It was framed up nicely, tucked away on the shelf with care. The girl stared at her with bright eyes and a toothy smile, without a care in the world. It was the look of a girl completely lost in love, a look that had crossed Sierra's face once before.

She resisted the urge to shake her head at the foolish girl, giving her heart away to easily to a man that had no idea the treasure he had been given. Sierra knew what it was to fall from grace. She saw how love could be turned bitter with a simple choice.

If it wasn't Sierra, it would be some other girl keeping their bed warm while she was away. At least with her, Jason's sweet little Marcy had nothing to worry about because she didn't want anything from her man except for his body.

Not that she was trying to justify what she was doing. She knew it was wrong. Sierra wished she could promise herself that it was the last time but of all the things that she may be, a liar wasn't one of them.

"Come on, one night won't kill you, Sierra. Plus, if you stay I'll do that thing with my tongue that you love so much." Jason purred at her, trying to entice her to give into his wishes. He was the same as every other man that welcomed her into their bed. They always wanted more from her, more then she was willing to give.

Sierra flipped a look over her shoulder at him, eyes eating up the length of delicious body. Jason may have been a fool, but no one could say he didn't take care of himself, "Jason, maybe if you put all this effort into the woman you're actually dating then maybe you'd be a little bit happier and a lot less desperate." His lips parted and his eyes opened wider at her blunt response.

To which she gave him a dazzling smile. The same smile that she gave to all her men. The smile that enraptured and ensnared them. All the while her heart beat the same cold, dead, and empty rhythm in her chest. Jason said nothing more to her as she turned her face away from him, grabbing her clutch as she strutted from his apartment into the warm summer night.

Sierra popped her clutch open and dropped her favorite lipstick inside, before reaching up to rub out the tension in her neck. The sidewalk was mostly empty except for a couple of other lonely people trying to find something or someone to lose themselves in. She let out a long breath, repressing the depressing thoughts that were threatening to pull her under. Sierra flashed a homeless man passing by a friendly smile as stepped up to the curb and hailed a cab to take her back to her place.

The ride home was a silent and without consequence. Though she was forced to climb the four flight of stairs to her apartment, because the damn elevator was still broken. A small token of karma, perhaps.

When she stepped off the last step and onto her floor Sierra's eyes widened at the sight of the familiar, yet unexpected visitor standing outside her apartment door, bags in hand. This was the image of her karma given flesh and bone. The past that she had tried so hard to leave behind her had somehow found her.

"Chloe...what are you doing here?"

Watery eyes held her frozen, "Andrew kicked me out."