Chapter 9: Friday II

Sierra found herself nervously twisting her fingers together

Sierra found herself nervously twisting her fingers together. It was completely ridiculous for her to have agreed to come to Natalie's birthday. It was just she had been caught off guard by the invitation that she had replied without much thought. Now that she was at the restaurant her mind was a buzz with a thousand different thoughts.

Sierra didn't have many girlfriends. Scratch that, she had one girlfriend, Reagan. She was certain that the reason their friendship had even blossomed to begin with was because Reagan had wanted to be more like her and Sierra had been lonely. Now, they were the best of friends but the motivations in the beginning was a little cloudy. 

The truth was most females didn't like Sierra, and she was usually suspicious of any that did like her. High school had not been kind to her. Females could be downright evil when they wanted to be, they didn't fight you outright like a man. No, they schemed and planned their attacks, waiting for the moment that would be the most emotionally and socially scarring. 

Scottie grabbed her hand under the table, "Calm down. You're starting to make me nervous." He whispered to her under his breath, lips turning up into a teasing grin. 

It was a dangerous idea for her to be spending more time with Scottie and his family. The more she was around him, the more her heart longed for more and the more her stomach soured with guilt. Sierra needed to tell him about the baby, their baby...but it seemed impossible to get the words out of her mouth. She was beginning to suspect that had everything to do with the way he looked at her. It was as if he saw something in her that other people had missed. Scottie looked at her as if she was worth a damn and Sierra like that. 

She knew It couldn't last, that she would muck it up, but she wished it could, "Do you really think she was being serious when she invited me? I don't want to intrude again or..."

His finger pressed to her lips, "My sister invited you because she liked you and she wanted you here. Trust me, she doesn't say things she doesn't mean." Sierra stared into his eyes, wanting to believe what he was telling her. Still in the back of her mind her insecurities screamed at her. Scottie dropped his hand, tilting his head, "I guess the old you is still in there..." 

Her cheeks flamed at his remark, "What do you mean?" 

"I mean, you are letting me see behind the curtain. That you're actually a real person and not just a walking fantasy." He smiled at her in a way that made her stomach flutter, "I like you this way more..." This was bad. She was getting in too deep and if she wasn't careful she would drown. Sierra pulled her hand from his, ending the moment they were sharing. 

"The birthday girl is in the house!" A cheerful voice remarked, drawing their attention. 

Natalie moved through the tables, looking stunning in her black corset and skirt. She walked with her head held high, leaning into her bedazzled cane as she maneuvered toward us. Sierra's gaze drifted to the coloring of a tattoo that slipped up over her left shoulder and slither up her neck. She hadn't noticed it last week at lunch because her hair had been down. It was a beautiful piece, a dragon, which seemed oddly fitting.