Chapter 11: Wednesday II

Natalie held up a tiny blue onesie that looked like a tuxedo, "What about this one? It's so cute

Natalie held up a tiny blue onesie that looked like a tuxedo, "What about this one? It's so cute." She turned it toward herself, smiling brightly. Sierra looked toward Reagan, who was shuffling through a couple of the onesie next to them. Her best friend gave her a sympathetic grin before looking back to the rack. 

"Are you sure this is a good idea? It feels kind of silly." Sierra remarked as she rubbed her hand over her stomach. To most people it probably looked like she had gained some weight, nothing really showing. To her though it was obvious, none of clothes were fitting right anymore. Whenever she took off her pants, she would see those offensive red mark from the waistband. All the changes were beginning to make her feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in her own skin.

Natalie threw the onesie into the basket, which she had been slowly filling up since they walked into the little boutique. She limbed toward Sierra, leaning her weight into her cane, "Trust me, Scottie will appreciate the gesture and the surprise. I know my brother, he's a schmuck for this kind of stuff." She patted Sierra on her shoulder as she walked around her to another rack. 

Reagan had driven Sierra to her three month ultrasound today, and Natalie had asked to tag along in Scottie's stead. He had wanted badly to be there when they found out the sex of the baby but he had an important business meeting that couldn't be rescheduled. 

Reagan pulled a tiny coat from the rack, it has little skulls all over it, "This is kind of cute..." She seemed less sure of herself as she held it up. She had been acting strangely since Sierra and Scottie had dinner with her and Austin a couple weeks ago, and he had brought up the topic of them having children together. Sierra knew that her best friend had been more skittish over getting to settled and attached to Austin, in case something didn't work out. Which was ridiculous it was easy to see the two of them were perfect for each other. 

Natalie leaned over to get a better look, "Oh definitely! Good eye!Throw it in the basket. My nephew is definitely going to be the best dressed baby is this city." Reagan smiled at their new friend's enthusiasm, chucking it into the basket that was beginning to overflow. 

Sierra shook her head, combing her fingers through her hair, "Don't you think we've got enough for now, Nat?" 

Natalie lifted her face in Sierra's direction, "You are having a beautiful baby boy. The doctor said he looks and sounds healthy, at this point what more could you ask for in this kind of situation? I think that deserves to be celebrated." There was a look in her silver gaze that had Sierra feeling a little guilty over her attitude. She knew that Natalie had been through a terrible accident, not only had she been left with the physical scars. She had lost her husband, and whatever dreams they had been building together. It wasn't fair, but Sierra knew well that life wasn't fair.

Sierra wasn't sure if she had what it took to be a good mother. She wasn't sure where her and Scottie's relationship was going. A lot of things in her life were in flux at the moment, but Natalie was right about one thing. Her baby was healthy and developing well, that was something she should be satisfied with, "You're right..."