Back to Square One

[Nina's POV]

We entered the hospital room. The doctor was relieved to see us both. Fabian helped me into the bed. He stroked my cheek. I took his hand. We looked up at the doctor for news.

"Well, if she can walk alone, she can go home."

Fabian lifted me to my feet. He stepped back as I moved a few inches. I was a little wobbly. Sometimes, if I was about to fall, Fabian acted quickly.

"Its ok, I can do this."

He nodded gently. I managed to get to the door. I waited for the doctor's response.

"I'd say she is ready. You may go Ms. Martin."

Fabian came over.

"You did it!"

"Yeah, but I couldn't have done it without your help. Thanks."

He smiled. We walked back to the house with proud faces. Everyone gave me a hug. Amber was probably the most relieved.

"Nina, you're back! I was so worried!"

We went to dinner that night.

[Joy's POV]

Dinner was really loud. Everyone was talking to Nina. No one else cared about anything but her. I wish they would stop.

"Hey, can we please talk about something else?"

Everyone stared at me. Even Nina. Fabian stood up for her.

"You know, Joy, Nina's been through a lot. Show some respect."

"I've been through a lot too!"

"Like what?"

"No one's paying attention to me because you're all worried about the American."

Eddie came in.

"Just to clarify, is it me or her American?"

"Its her, stupid! Everyone's worried about her!"

Fabian's face got red with fury.

"Joy! Stop making Nina feel bad! You don't care about anyone but yourself. I think you should go. Now!"

I held back the tears. I just wanted someone to care for me as much as Fabian cared for Nina. I got up and left.

[Jerome's POV]

Dinner was a blast! We had Trudy's meatloaf and had a loud talk. Fabian really set the bar high on Joy, it was great! I went back to my room where Alfie was on his phone.

"What're you doing, Bro?"

No response.

"Great dinner tonight, yeah?"

No response.

"Alfie! Hello?"

He was startled.

"Sorry, Dude. Space Invaders is a really fun game."

I shook my head and laughed. Alfie hasn't changed a bit.

[Nina's POV]

It was 11:20. Fabian stayed in my room. He was really worried.

"I'm sorry about dinner, Nina."

"Its ok. Maybe you should go back to your room. I don't want Victor catching you up here."

"No, I'm staying here with you. Someone needs to protect you from Leona."

"I'll be fine. I'll let you know if I need anything."

"Alright. Goodnight, Nina."

"Night."