Sleep

I sit on the couch for hours watching the lightning race through the sky and listening to the thunder crackle around me.

A sudden thud makes me jump. I turn around to see a couple of bags dropped on the floor. I watch to see if anything else happens.

A young guy enters back into the room with more bags strung over his arms. I can't say anything I just stare.

His brown hair is somewhere between wavy and straight. His eyes, hazel and he's dripping wet.

"Hi."

He calls out to me. I struggle to say anything.

"Hey."

It was the longest "hey" of my whole life.

"Uhh do you need help with all of that?"

"Actually yeah. You reckon you could bring these up for me? They might be heavy, be careful."

He throws a couple more bags over his shoulder and leaves two for me. I pick them up as best I can. I take me eyes off the ground and look to the stairs to follow his guy. He's looking down on me, a playful grin in his face.

"You're stronger than you look."

"I don't feel it. What have you got in here? Bricks?"

"Close. Textbooks and my training gear."

I struggle to carry them. He throws his head back in laugher and continues up the stairs, disappearing into a room. He reappears and walks up to me with open arms.

"I'll take them."

I hesitate and stare into his eyes. The dim light from the upstairs lights makes his eyes sparkle. He gives a quick smile and takes the bags into his room.

I turn to go back downstairs but he calls out.

"Hey."

I turn around to see him resting in his door frame.

"Come. I want to talk.

He walks into his room and I follow nervously. I wait at his door, peering my head inside.

"You can come in you know."

His room is nice. His room looks really cozy. His lamp by his bed makes illuminates his whole room with a warm yellow glow. The only mess in his room is the bags cluttering the floor. He opens a door and walks into an en suite, grabbing a towel and drying his hair.

"I'm Xavier. And I believe you are Charlotte, right?"

"Yes. Charlotte Gallagher."

"My dad told me a bit about you. Weird day huh?"

"Weird is one way of putting it. Yeah I'm just kinda lost right now."

He sits in the end of the bed still drying his hair.

"Do you want to sit."

"I'm ok. I've been sitting all night."

"Suit yourself. This is the comfiest bed for miles around."