Echoes

Alex walks briskly, casually poking his head over his shoulder to make sure I'm still following behind. My heart is pounding hard against my chest, it's all I can hear. Not the traffic, not the people, nothing else.

"Charlotte we're losing you. Slow down if you can."

I lessen my pace just as Alex peers over his shoulder. His angry eyes staring straight at me. He steps back toward me. I tense up.

"It seems you have forgotten. I will shoot you."

His voice is icy. He flashes open his jacket to show me his pistol, again reminding me of what he's capable of.

He puts his hand firmly on my arm and pushes me forward. He walks me through the crowds, across roads, further and further from safety.

He looks over his shoulder again before shoving me into and alley. I knew this wasn't going to end well.

"Give me your gun. Right now."

I firstly show him my empty hands pull my shirt up and reach for my gun.

"Slower. Do it slower. Don't try anything stupid."

I slow my hands down as I grab my gun and lower it to the ground, keeping strong eye contact with him the whole time.

"Oh and while you're at it, take all that armour off. And your mic and earpiece."

"Why? You said if I complied that you wouldn't hurt me."

"Arguing isn't helping your case right now. Do as I say."

He crouches down and collects the gun I left at my feet. I slowly and regretfully start to peel off the Velcro from my Kevlar vest. I take out my earpiece and unclip the mic from my shirt. I drop it all in front of me and take a step back.

"You're a good girl. I'm jealous of what you're boyfriend has."

"I have a boyfriend?"

"Don't play dumb, bitch. I know about you and you're dream boy Xavier."

"I'm not lying. He's good looking but by no means is he my boyfriend."

"Well in that case. You can be mine. The things I'd do to you. My imagination is incredibly extensive."

I swallow hard, disgusted of the thought of being 'his'. I know how fucked up his mind is. It's obvious his imagination is vast. He killed people. That takes a fucked up head.

"Thanks for the kind offer. I'm happy single."

"Why not?Why not me? Look at me. I'm the hottest guy around."

I don't say anything. I've wasted my breath enough on this guy.

"What? You don't think so?"

"If I tell you what I think you'd shoot me."

"Funny thing is that you still think that I'm not going to hurt you. You think you're trying out of here alive. Yeah,  that's not happening."

He starts to slowly pace towards me. The alley doesn't go back much further but I step back as far as I can until my back is firmly against a metal fence. He draws his gun and swings it around on his finger.

"Let me know how you're parents are. At least now you'll be with them forever."

"If there anything that it's want? From me or anyone else? I'll come with you. I want to be part of your fantasies. I want to know what your imagination is like."

"Stop being silly. You're doing that thing where you think that I'll put down my gun and we can walk off into the sunset. I'm not that dumb. It's not happening."

He gets even closer. He grips the fence behind me with one hand and pushes the barrel against the centre of my chest.

I didn't think my breath could get faster neither did I think my heart could beat any faster.

His hand slips off the fence and onto my side.

"No one is coming for you. You are going to die alone and scared today in this alley."

I shut my eyes gently as warm, wet tears begin to fall. His cold fingers wipe them away as they drip down my cheeks.

"Don't cry princess. Today's a happy day. I'm giving you back to your parents."

"Get the fuck off me. Don't touch me again."

I push against his chest as hard as I can, forcing him to stumble backwards. He grins and bites his lip before pointing the gun at me again.

Everything goes into slow motion.

He pulls the trigger. A loud bang echoes all around as I feel something penetrate my stomach, pushing me backwards and sending my body to the ground.

I can barely makes things out but I see Alex managing a final grin and not long after, a burning sensation from the right side of my stomach. Something warm runs down my side and onto my arm. I am in pain but it's something new. It's weird.

Xavier's POV

I'm desperately trying to find where Charlotte is. I dash through crowds of people, in front of cars and across roads as fast as I can.

I stop for just a second to catch my breath. I'm overwhelmed with all the buildings and side roads she could be in. I'm not going to lie, I'm worried about her.

My heart drops. An booming echo bounces between buildings. It's not far away either. People run towards me like charging bulls. I sprint through the mayhem.

Something makes me turn my head down a short and narrow alley.

"No. No. No, no no. Oh god, no. Charlotte."

I can't stop myself. I crouch down beside and grip my hands over her chest, holding down from where she's gushing blood.

She's in and out of consciousness. When she wakes her breaths are shaky and shallow. Her eyes red from her tears. She screams and groans as I change the pressure in my hands.

"Please just keep your eyes open. Just stay awake. Please."

I know dad can hear me. My mic is still on. Everything is taking forever. It feels like eternity before anyone comes to help me and an eternity more till an ambulance arrives.

But all I'm left with as she leaves is the echoing gunshot, her wailing screams and a pair of bloody hands.