Again

Xavier's POV

She wriggles around a bit, pushes against me and resettles herself. I reach over and wrap my arm across her stomach and pull her even closer to me. She turns over and buries her face in the crook of my neck.

"Did you sleep alright?"

"Mmmmm."

"How are you feeling?"

"Mm."

"Mm good or mm bad?"

"Mm."

"Alright good talk. Hey it's well after lunch but you haven't eaten. You hungry? You want me to make food?"

"Mm."

"I'll take that as a yes."

I release her from my grip but she grabs me and pulls me back down to her. She snuggles back up against me again and holds me tight.

I let her sleep for a bit longer before getting up and making food for us. I take her food up to her room and wake her again.

"Hey. Sleepy head. I've got food."

"Mm."

After a lot of coaxing and begging I finally get her to eat before she quickly falls back to sleep again. I didn't realise how tired she was. I wash up and hang out in my room sorting though stuff and before long it's dark out and I'm feeling tired. I decide to let Charlotte sleep alone tonight. Just as I'm about to fall asleep, a thud and a small groan get my attention.

"Charlotte?"

I run of my room and find Charlotte by her door clutching her stomach in a growing pool of blood.

I scoop her into my arms as screams erupt from her and echo through the house. I drop her on the couch and call dad. He takes forever to pick up so I put the phone on speaker and set it down on the coffee table. I put Charlotte on my lap and hold her close.

"What happened?"

She's barely able to move. She can only scream and cry and more blood drips from her abdomen. The house is ringing with the sounds of her pain.

She's incapable of speaking. I raise her blood stained shirt up off her belly to see the source.

"Hey. Listen to me. It's going to be ok. The stitches have burst open but it's ok. You're ok. Just keep looking at me."

I give up on waiting for dad for advice. I hang up and rush out to the garage with her in my arms still screaming and bleeding.

I run back and grab towels to help stop the bleeding. The nearest hospital is about 15 minutes away. I don't even know if she had 15 minutes but it's worth trying.

Luckily the traffic is light and there is parking just across the road. I bundle her up in my arms and run through the doors of emergency.

"Please I need a doctor."

The nurse at the front desk hurriedly opens a door and lets us through.

"We haven't got a free bed here but sit down and I'll sit what I can do."

Charlotte's POV