New side

Xavier's POV

Charlotte sits on the edge of her bed staring out the window. Her bags are spread across the room.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"I'm ok, but thanks anyway."

I tried.

"Do you need a hand with anything?"

"Actually yeah. Can you just you tip everything out of that bag?"

"Yeah, sure."

She turns to me, blushing and then returns to hanging her clothes up.

I don't know how I feel about her. There's something about her that I like. I don't know what it is and I don't know how I've never seen it before. She's totally different to any other girl I've ever met.

Charlotte has a nice room. It's the same size as mine but hers is much brighter. She has a bigger wardrobe which is probably for the best.

Something grabs both of our attention. A noise echoes through the house form downstairs. Sounds like something smashed.

I instantly stare at Charlotte. Her usually blushed face drains to a pale. I hear her breathing quicken. I rush around her bed.

"Stay her. Don't make a sound and whatever happens you need to stay here. You cannot move. Do you understand?"

She nods a few times and crouches down next to the bed. I put my hands around her arms.

"It's ok. It's going to be alright."

I peered out of Charlotte's room. The only problem with this house is it's so open.

I couldn't see anything out of place. Everything looked normal. I checked all the doors and windows in the house for a sign of forced entry. I checked every hiding spot, every room and every other place I could think of. 

I was convinced we were okay. I double checked all the doors and returned to Charlotte. She's obedient. Either that or she's too terrified to move. She hasn't moved a muscle since I left her.

I crouch down in front of.

"I checked everywhere. There's nothing. No one is here. And all the doors are locked."

She doesn't say anything. She just a leaves the room. I hear her gentle steps on the stairs fade. What's up with her? I follow her steps downstairs and find her standing over the sink.

"Charlotte?"

No reaction.

"Charlotte? Are you ok?"

"Yeah. I'm good."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I'm fine."

"Did I hurt you?"

"No. No, you didn't. I'm fine, seriously."

I didn't want to push her. Whatever was going on, she didn't want to talk about it. She keeps her eyes strongly on the floor as she leaves the kitchen.

I reach out and grab her wrist as she leaves. I don't know what made me do it. I don't really know what I'm going to say to her. I stare at her eyes for a what feels like eternity as I work out what to say.

"You can trust me. I'm not going to hurt you. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"And why don't you want anything to happen to me."

I can't form any sentence or words. I don't know why I said what I did. She slides her hand from my grip and closes the door behind her as she disappears into her room.

I've had girlfriends before. They've all been different but Charlotte is a whole new thing, more than new level. She's a whole different scale. I'm captivated by it. I know she has secrets. And I know she doesn't trust me yet but I will give her every reason to.