Chapter Nine

“So are you and James like, friends now? Or is it a friend’s with benefits type of thing?” Sophie asks me as she devours another one of her twenty chicken nuggets – how she manages to eat so much and stay so skinny is beyond me.

“Just friends, like we always have been, and all that we ever will be, okay Soph?” I say sternly, hoping she’ll grasp my serious tone and choose not to question it further.

“Fine, just make sure you’re saying that when you discover he’s sleeping with like a million girls when he solo tours.” She replies, and holds her hands up in defence. Physically, I shrug the thought of this off, but mentally, it’s tearing me apart. I can’t let Sophie see.

“It’s his choice, not mine.” I reply, hoping the conversation will be changed.

For once, Sophie takes the hint and diverts the topic onto what I’m wearing to The X Factor party tonight, which both Sophie and I have been invited to. It’s taking place at Union J’s temporary residence, and let’s just say that Sophie and George are very...close. Obviously James invited me, his reason being that he needs a ‘drink buddy’. So basically he means he wants me to hold his drink whilst he snogs the face off of some random girl and I stand there drinking on my own. In all honesty, it doesn’t sound very enthralling, but I’ve already agreed to go, so I guess I have to.

“Please tell me you’re wearing that sexy red dress of yours that makes you look amazing?!” Sophie asks me, and stares at me for a few seconds. I get the feeling that she’s going to make me wear that dress, regardless of whether I want to or not.

“You only ever make me wear that dress when you have one aim for me, which is to pull, so why do you want me to wear it tonight?” I ask her, confused. I wasn’t planning on hooking up with anyone tonight, unless James did the same, due to the fact that I’d then be technically forced to because of the awkwardness. Sophie lets out a loud sigh, and pushes her chicken nuggets to the side for a second. Fucking hell, the girl’s stopped eating her nuggets, this must be serious!

“I’m worried about you Hol, seriously, ever since James and you had that argument and started speaking again; you’ve not been the same. I mean, you’ve been putting on a good front, but you just seem so...distant.” she tells me, and she’s completely accurate, and I can’t find the right words to respond. I don’t want to admit to the fact she’s right, but at the same time, I also can’t lie about this. “You don’t need to say anything, I know you won’t admit to loving him, but I know you do. Don’t worry, I won’t tell him, but I think you need to. If he pulls tonight, it’ll kill you Hol, and I don’t want to see that, so all I’m suggesting is, if the worst happens and he does end up getting it on with some sleazebag, I want you to be fully equipped to do the same, and play him at his own game.” She concludes, and goes back to eat her chicken nuggets. I sit in silence for a few minutes, unable to comprehend an answer, because this is honestly the most well-thought about and smartest thing I’ve ever heard Sophie say.

“Thank-you” is all I’m able to say in reply, so she nods, and gently slides her chair away from the table.

“Let’s go home and get ready for tonight!” she beams, clearly excited for tonight, I’m not sure why though...

5 hours later

“You ready for this Hol?” Sophie asks me as we walk up the pathway, towards the huge mansion. I could hear the music from the other end of the street, and now that we’re outside the front door, it’s hard to comprehend what the other is saying.

“Intense! But yes, I’m ready, are you ready to see Mr Shelley?” I wink, and a childish giggle escapes her lips. She goes to open the front door and enter the house, but I instantly stop her, and raise an eyebrow. “You like him! As in seriously like him, you’re not just interested in him for sex!” I exclaim, in shock that Sophie actually feels this way about someone. She split up with Matt a few weeks ago because she felt bad constantly cheating on him, which is true, Matt was a dick, but cheating is never okay – I’ve given up judging Sophie on her decisions though.