Chance

Thursday, June 7th, 8:18 PM

Dusk, lights, fountain, tension, couples.

Its been four years since my suicide attempt. Three years since I've graduated. One year since I got a job and last saw Maddy. I moved away because of a job position that I had been offered by a tech company. Moving away was one of the most painful things of my life, especially when I saw Maddy's face. Maddy and I still keep in touch, talking every day until we fall asleep. I've come back because I got a week off for excellent performance. I just hope I make it count.

It's almost eight-twenty, I think to myself. Where is she? Ten minutes pass. I'm hopeless. She found someone better.

"Sebastian!" Hearing that familiar voice jolts me out of my silent brooding. I look around, try to find the source of the voice. Then, I see her, Maddy. Maddy. She's running at me with the happiest smile I've ever seen. I start running at her.

"Maddy? MADDY!"

We meet halfway and she jumps on me with a hard kiss. God I missed those lips. When we finally finished kissing and separated from each other, I took a step back to take all of her in. Shorts with a short sleeved, baby blue shirt saying "So What?" She's wearing the necklace I got her for her eighteenth birthday: a golden cracked hair with my name on it, I'm wearing the other piece. I realized I was staring for too long and quickly lower my head with a light blush. She lets out a laugh that would make angels jealous.

"You're as cute as ever," she says with a wink.

I look up at her and almost pass out. How is she not a freaking angel? I cough trying to buy time, "Uh, well I uh," I cough again, "Dinner?"

I can tell she's trying not to laugh. "Have a place in mind?"

"Actually yes, ever had sushi?"

A hour and a half pass. We go to a sushi restaurant and talk for a while.

"And then one time in class, the professor barked at Sophia and she almost jumped five feet in the air," She goes into another fit of laughs. I was just enjoying our time together again.

Come on you idiot, go for it! "...Maddy?"

"Yeah?"

DO IT "We've known each other for years. And I've enjoyed our time together and I wouldn't have wanted to spend it with anyone else. You're the reason I'm here today."

"Sebastian..."

Keep going "I promised myself I wouldn't try this unless I had a good job and, well, I have a good job. So Maddy," I get on one knee and take out a box and open it, inside is a beautiful diamond  ring. "Will you marry me?"

She looks at me with the most joyful look ever, I almost died on the spot from her happiness. A few seconds that felt like an eternity passed before she said, "Yes."

YES We get up and we hug for the longest time, locked into a deep kiss. I've never been happier in my life. Suddenly she peels herself off of me and starts to talk spastically. 

"Oh my god we need to plan. I...I...I need to invite people a-a-and," I cut her off.

"Hey, one step at a time okay?" She nods, still smiling.

"Sebastian," she asks, her head leaning on my chest.

"Hm?"

"I love you."

"I love you to Maddy," and we kiss.