45

Seeing her entire squad die wasn't what broke her. No. What broke her was seeing them alive and well, six years later. 

Someone ended up thinking she was crazy because she asked where their graves were when she came back after six years. When the person pointed out that they were still alive, she thought she was losing her mind as well.

She went over to them and asked how they were still alive, but they were just as shocked as her when they saw her. "How are you still alive, Clara?!" one of them cried.

Clara shrugged. "Marcus, I--" she started. She was interrupted by Marcus hugging her.

"I missed you so much," he said. As he pulled away, he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Their eyes locked for a few moments before everything turned to water before her eyes and she was dragged back into reality.

Out on the battlefield. Wounded with her head in Marcus's lap, staring up at the sky.

"Marcus, I saw six years into the future," Clara said.

"Hush. Don't talk, Captain," Marcus told her.

"You kissed me on the cheek and said you missed me so much," Clara continued.

"I said don't talk," Marcus repeated.

"Marcus...I think you like me."

Marcus went quiet as he pressed his hand firmly against Clara's shoulder.

"Do you like me?" Clara asked.

Marcus stayed silent and Clara touched his hand. "Do you?" she prompted.

Marcus gulped and nodded. "I've liked you since I first met you, Captain."

Clara smiled as she closed her eyes.
<---<<
Clara woke up to the sound of beeping. She groaned as she opened her eyes to find herself in a hospital room. She sensed something beside her and looked to see Marcus holding her bed by the handle. She smiled. "Hi, Marcus," she said.

Marcus didn't say anything as he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers.