Chapter 4

Luthwén saw them standing together, talking. Perhaps this time they'd let her in on the talks. Cassandra noticed her and smiled, waving her over. She felt warmed by the gesture, maybe they'd give her another chance to regain their trust. If she had lost it. She wasn't sure where she was standing with them since she recruited the mages. Leliana was always friendly with her. True, her honeyed voice often scared Luthwén, but she generally maintained friendly interest. Josephine was always warm and cheerful when possible, but the events at Haven seemed to have weighed down on her as well, and since their arrival at Skyhold, they had barely talked. Cassandra kept her reserved politeness, sometimes asking her how she felt, but never allowing her to truly see what went on her mind. And the commander... she blushed touching her braid. That morning he was so caring, and he said nothing about her slip up. She knew humans cared a whole lot about their titles and using their first name was considered impolite. Maybe his silence meant he was insulted.. But he was so gentle with her hair. She looked up from her feet towards the group, her eyes meeting the commander's for a moment. Then he smiled at her. Her heart fluttered, and she felt blood rush into her cheeks. Yet before she could reach them, they all walked in separate directions, only Cassandra staying.

Luthwén felt a stab of sadness, being ignored by the rest. Maybe she was wrong, they might have lost their trust in her completely. Maybe that is why Leliana questioned her about her clan that morning. Perhaps they'll be sending her back to them, now that they know who the enemy is. She searched Cassandra's face for any sign of what was waiting for her.

"We have the walls and numbers to put up a fight here, but this threat is far beyond the war we anticipated." Cassandra started, gesturing to the walls of Skyhold and starting to walk up the stairs. "But we now know what allowed you to stand against Corypheus, what drew him to you." Luthwén followed her up the stairs, just a few steps behind.

She looked at her hand, "He came for this, and now it's useless to him, so he wants me dead. That's it." She said with slight bitterness in her voice.

"The anchor has power, but it's not why you're still standing here." Cassandra continued walking after a slight pause. "Your decisions let us heal the sky. Your determination brought us out of Haven. You are the creature's rival because of what you did. And we know it. All of us." Cassandra turned to look at her, climbing up the other set of stairs. Luthwén grimaced, 'it certainly does not feel that way.' she thought bitterly to herself but said nothing.

At the top of the stairs, Leliana stood holding a sword. A large sword, its guards wrapped in an ornament shaped like a dragon. She held it up as if presenting it to someone. "The Inquisition requires a leader: the one who has already been leading it." Cassandra stopped by Leliana. Luthwén looked at them, puzzled. Then it dawned on her, and with a held breath she looked below them. A crowd had gathered, all looking up at her. Josephine and the commander stood among them, smiling. "You." Cassandra finished.

"You're offering this to an elf? Are you quite sure of this?"

"I would be terrified handing this power to anyone, but I believe it is the only way. They'll follow you. To them, being an elf shows how far you've risen, how it must have been by Andraste's hand."
Luthwén groaned quietly, the shemlen religion again. She was no herald of Andraste, and she was not to be worshipped. When would they understand that? Cassandra did not miss the reaction. "What it means to you, how you lead us; that is for you alone to determine."

Luthwén looked at the sword, studying the ornate hilt before hesitantly picking it up, and turning to the crowd. Not knowing where the courage came from, she spoke up.

"I will lead us against Corypheus, and I will be an ambassador. I'm an elf standing for Thedas, the Inquisition is for all."

"Wherever you lead us." Cassandra nodded and walked closer to the edge. "Have our people been told?" She called out.