Lore - Handhigh Holdfast

Handhigh, as it's known throughout Arkn, is the largest of the city states and towns that dot the land. Nestled in the verdant fields of the Floor valley, Handhigh acts as a buffer between each of the major powers of days; the Duchy of Bourdon to the northwest, Port Shinoda to the southwest, Wakefield to the North, and Farrell, Heavy Harbor, and Fort Delson to the south.

The strength of Handhigh, and indeed the security of the region, is based on the variety of mercenary companies who call it home. Adventurers, sellswords, traders, and all manner of traveler pass through the city under the protection of the Mercenary Code, which maintains no company can war with another without both being under opposing contracts, nor can a company harm travelers or citizens of the Holdfast inside the sovereign territory of Handhigh.

The name Handhigh has and interesting, and somewhat literal, origin. A hundred years before the Kingdom of Arkn unified, the Holdfast was home to a single, roving band of mercenaries. They raided neighboring cities and preyed upon travelers. The First Alliance of Arkn, comprised of the houses of Shinoda, Bourdon, and Delson, rode against them and besieged the city. For three years their siege engines battered at the walls and towers of the Holdfast, abating only when the tallest building was no higher than a man's up-stretched hand. Though those in Handhigh could not hope to fight off the combined force, the city states could not hope to carry on the siege indefinitely. The Peace of Handhigh cemented the Holdfast's role in the region, with the coastal cities agreeing to open up trade and mercenary employment with Handhigh, in exchange for regional security being maintained.

While a somewhat lawless city in the eyes of the more 'civilized' city states, Handhigh maintains a fierce independence and pride in their sovereignty.