Ch. 9 - Burn it Down

The ships arrived in Hahn's Crossing the next day. Phan thought that the town was accurately named; it was built across a bridge that spanned a relatively narrow section of the Iridescent River, with walls and outer areas on either end of the bridge. The ships tied up mid-span, on a dock that jutted out from the western pylon of the bridge.

Dockhands set about lashing the ships to the dock as gangways were run out. The soldiers disembarked, Phan walking behind the General and Duke Robert. Baron Bradd was on the second ship. The Duke's men, Tak and Rhyu, led the soldiers from the third ship. They congregated at the foot of a broad stairway that led up to the main bridge, within earshot of the leaders.

"We only stay here long enough to find supplies, horses, and a few recruits that we need to pick up. We'll go to the Dragonfly, a tavern on the eastern span of the bridge. Eat and rest, we move at dawn," said the General.

He nodded for Phan to follow. The General, Phan, and two other soldiers left the rest of the group, who slipped into the stream of people traversing the bridge. Phan followed the General closely in the mass of people. They pushed north, across the bridge. It was the largest bridge Phan had ever seen. The thoroughfare they followed was at least fifty yards wide, not including the buildings that towered above them like the walls of a manmade canyon.

"Where are we going?" Phan asked over the din of the crowded streets.

"We need to meet an old friend," said the General. "He's an important person in this town, and we need his help recruiting additional forces for the fight to come."

They ducked under an awning and off the street. They wove through narrow corridors between buildings and Phan was certain he would be helpless to navigate the warren alone. The General strode purposefully, moving among the crowds as if he could pass right through them. Phan tried to get his attention to slow down, but his voice was lost in the echo of the masses.

And then suddenly he found himself nearly barreling into the older soldier. The General glanced over his shoulder with a grin, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

"We're here," he said simply. "Follow me."

They entered a small tavern. Phan noted the sign above the door as they entered, The Agoura. The interior was murky and a thick haze hung in the air. A few patrons sipped ales or mopped up stew with bread. Many of them nodded politely to the General, evidently recognizing him. Phan followed him through the room to a door at the far end of the room from where they had entered. The General knocked on the door in a rapid pattern that Phan could only assume was a code. He continued to take in the sights of the room, looking for exits if things got hairy.

Most of the occupants were unremarkable, mercenaries or dockhands. One man stuck out, though it seemed he desperately was trying not to. He was a thin man, sitting alone in the corner of the room opposite Phan. A hood was pulled down over his face, as he leaned back in his chair, appearing to clean his nails with a knife. Despite seeming to have the air of taking his ease, the man was tense, one foot firmly planted on the ground, his back to the wall so as to see the whole room.

This was a man ready for a fight. Further inspection of the stranger was interrupted but mumbling on the part of the General and someone on the other side of the portal. The heavy door creaked and swung open and the General practically hauled Phan in after him. The door slammed shut behind them.

A man sat behind a wide table. Scrolls lay in tatter piles around him, stacks of tomes and boxes lined with parchment were scattered around the room. The man looked up at the General and smiled. He rose and the two greeted with a bear hug only shared by old friends. The General turned and motioned for Phan to approach.