Ch. 6 - Remember the Name

Phan let out a nervous breath.

Ahead, the trees broke up and thinned as they approached the farmland surrounding Fort Delson. The farmer who owned this particular plot was friendly to Baron Bradd. He slipped out of the stalks of corn, glanced both ways as if crossing a busy road, then trotted out to the position held by Duke Robert's forces.

"Greetings, my lord," he said to Robert, bowing slightly. Then he nodded to the General and said, "I served with you at the siege of Port Shinoda ten years ago sir. Took my pay and came here to start a family and stay quiet. The bastards up there are ruining that. It's an honor to serve you again, sir."

The General bowed to the man, deeper than any man would have been expected to bow to a Duke or a Baron. The man's eyes widened in surprise.

"You helped save my home when it was most in peril," said the General, his voice serious and his tone thankful. "Let me return the favor and help save yours. We have a plan, we just need to get to the Alehouse at Gate."

"We have a string of farms you can move through," said the farmer with a nod. "It should get you to the outer edge of Gate Town. From there, I'm afraid you'll be on your own. Are the rest of your men on their way?"

The General glanced back at Phan and the three dozen men arrayed throughout the trees behind him. He smiled and turned back to face the farmer.

"No, this is all of us," he said. The farmer glanced over the General's shoulder skeptically, but nodded.

"If you think you can get it done, then we'll get you to town, sir," he said. "We'll form up, single file, stay close, and follow me."

The group formed up behind their guide. The Duke took point personally, followed by the General, Phan, and the rest of the group. Single filed, he pushed their way into the corn stalks. Phan kept his eyes on the General's back, lest he be the one to break the chain and unravel the whole operation. Picking through a forest or jungle was one thing. But the corn stalks were taller than a man by a head and denser than any trees he'd even seen. The group wound their way through the stalks for what seemed like hours. The day was cloudy, but still muggy. Phan wiped his brow with the back of his tunic sleeve more than once to keep the sweat from stinging his eyes.

Phan almost walked straight into the General and caught himself just inches from doing so as the column ahead stopped. Their guide and the Duke appeared from the stalks to either side of the General.

"This is it," said their guide. "Once you're out of this field, you'll be at the outskirts of the town. It looks like few people are about, but have your men spread out along the field here and stagger them leaving it. Three-dozen armed men appearing outside and they'll lock up the gates tighter than a, well, tighter than you'd like if you want to storm the keep."

"Tight is good," said the General simply. He smiled at the farmer's confused look. "Thank you for the help, Corporal Graves. From the top to the bottom, it won't be forgotten."

If the man was surprised the General remembered his rank and name, he didn't show it. Instead, he stiffened up and saluted, slapping his fist to his heart. He then nodded to the rest and set off down the line, passing the word of their arrival at the edge of the field to every fourth man down the line.

"Time to split up," said the Duke. "I'll take squads Two and Three straight into town and start rustling some feathers. Squad Four will stay inside the stalks here with our weapons in case we need firepower quickly."

"Squad one, Phan, and myself will take the bolthole into the keep," said the General. "With any luck, we'll be in and to the gate before they realize what's hit them."