Chapter Three

III

Rosella

    When Rosella saw the purple, bundling cyclops coming towards her and Eddie, she thought for sure that they were dead. Then when the cyclops’s foul breath hit her nose, she knew they were goners. But then, someone appeared. Rosella looked over to see someone leaning against a tree on the other side of the fire.

     Her hair was long, and a dark blonde color. Her hair was tied into a braid until it reached the bottom of her ear. Then it was as if she got lazy and put ponytails the rest of the way down. It kind of reminded Rosella of Princess Jasmine, except not as puffy and thick. A black bandanna was tied around her head like a headband, and her side bangs poked out of the bandanna. She wore shorts despite the cold, and a black leather jacket that was zipped up to her neck. Another thing that Rosella noticed was that the girl wore no shoes.

    When she revealed herself, Eddie shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Rosella instantly got suspicious, not just of Eddie, but of the girl too. She looked back and forth between the two, but didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. The only thing was that Eddie looked scared out of his mind, but that might just be because a giant, hungry cyclops was spitting in his face a few seconds ago.

    The cyclops and his brothers turned when they saw the girl standing there, smiling smugly. The purple one inched closer to her, but she didn’t back down. She didn’t even show fear. She was just standing there against the tree, smiling as her hair began to blow around. The cyclops laughed, and his brothers joined in.

    “Petty demigod.” He joked. “Wha’? Are these friends of yours? Have you come to save them? Or are you here to join us for dinner?”

     “Does tha’ mean we each get one?” The yellow cyclops asked.

     “SHUT UP!” The purple one yelled as he pounded his fist against the ground. The yellow one instantly backed down, and he seemed to quaver in fear. Rosella could feel herself shaking as well.

     “Hey moron!” The girl screamed. If she wanted the cyclops’s attention, she certainly got it. The cyclops turned around and sneered at the girl. “Let the demigods go.” She ordered. The girl squared her shoulders and balled her hands into fists. She looked like she was ready for a fight, and she was about to get one. The cyclopes looked at one another, then looked back at the girl.

     “Says who, lil’ demigod? You’re no match for us.” The green one said from across the fire. Rosella watched the scene that was unfolding in front of her intently, as if she was on the edge of her seat. She didn’t know what was going to happen.

     “I might be more of a challenge than you think.” The girl spat back at him. “Because, you see, I am no demigod.” She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at the cyclopes. Then she clicked her tongue against the inside of her cheek as she waited for a reply. None came, the cyclopes looked back and forth between each other. They appeared to be a little too confused. And frankly, so was Rosella. If this girl was no demigod, then what was she? A human. If she was, then she was about to get her butt whooped. Big time.

      The girl started to look bored, so she uncrossed her arms and stared at the purple cyclops.

      “Look, dude, I usually don’t like to fight cyclopes. So I am giving you one chance to release the demigods, or else.” She stuck her hands in her pockets and waited for the cyclops to reply. All he did was burst into laughter. His brothers did the same.

      Rosella looked down into her boot. Now that the cyclopes were distracted, and the girl was clearly not going to help, she should try to break free from the rope and get the heck out of there. She reached her arms as far as they could and tried to grab her knife.