Chapter Seven

VII

Jewel

    Jewel wished she still has the iPod. She didn’t know why she took it in the first place. She had a bad habit of just taking stuff. Once at Camp Outcast, she found a pair of scissors. They weren’t anything special, just a pair of blue and purple colored scissors that were made for cutting things. She had five of them back in her room. But she took them anyway. It got worse over the months. Stupid little things with no value were the things she would randomly take: buttons, socks, pencils, highlighters, forks, straws, rocks, the list went on and on. But when she took the iPod, it just looked so shiny, so cool, so different. It looked like something that Spencer would invent, so it also reminded her of home. Then she plugged the little ear thingies in her ears and pressed play. Music was in her ears. She had a radio back at camp, but that was nothing like this.

    The music that flooded her head when she was on the train made the time go by. She seemed to just focus on the music, and forgot about the time, and the mission, and the camp. But most of all, it made her forget her amnesia. Being seventeen years old and waking up forgetting everything besides your name and the small random facts was terrifying. Having no idea who your mom was or who you really were made you think, a lot. Sometimes those thoughts got out of hand, and the next thing you know you’re on the ground having a panic attack, with your powers out of control and your friends trying to calm you down. The only thing was that Jewel had a hard time calming down. Once she was hyped up, she stayed that way for a while. Spencer always told her that she could try to think about something happy to distract her from the nerves, but with so little memories, its hard to do that. Its not like she could make happy memories in Camp Outcast. Sure, she had always put on a smile and did her best to make everyone else happy and upbeat, but she always felt the opposite when she did those things. She felt like an outcast at Camp Outcast. She felt as if she never belonged, and she wanted out.

    That was why she so badly wanted to leave with Rosella and Eddie. Talking to Rosella seemed easier than the others. Sure, she could carry on a conversation with Esie, or James, or Spencer, or even Elina. But sometimes those conversations seemed forced or fake after a while. SOmetimes they would even end with yelling, or someone depressed. But it was different with Rosella. That one conversation with Rosella felt real and gave Jewel an actual happy feeling inside her. Jewel had spent a few hours with Rosella, and not once did she ask herself: “Who am I, really?” She had a feeling that the two should stick together, if not as friends, then as allies. She didn’t lie when she said she could detect ships, but she had lied about almost everything else, because Jewel wanted out. And that is what she got. Rosella had let Jewel escape. She had forgotten her amnesia for quite some time, until Eddie took away the iPod. Now almost five hours, two train changes and twenty-one stops later, the gang had finally arrived at South Station. They got off of one of the tracks and hurried along the pavement. They walked into the sliding doors, and entered south station. As Jewel looked around, her eyes were wide.

    Jewel had been to Boston before a few times with James or Esie, but they never took the train. They always flew or sailed in.  Now she was walking into a giant building with tall ceilings, banners, and food stands set up in every possible location. Jewel didn’t know what any of the stands were, but it all smelled good. There was a place called Dunkin Donuts, Pink Berry, and Au Bon Pan.

     A scent hit Jewel’s nose, and her stomach grumbled. She clutched her stomach, embarrassed that it was that loud. Eddie looked her way and raised a blonde eyebrow. Jewel gave him a sheepish smile, and shrugged. Jewel had a big stomach, she ate more than football players should, and since it had been almost a day since her last meal, she was starved.

    Rosella turned then. Her big brown eyes glittered in an innocent  but mature nature. Her dark hair was brushed over one shoulder, which fell to her vest and tee-shirt. Rosella brushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear and looked down at her own stomach as it began to growl. Her eyes lifted to meet Jewel’s.