Chapter Nine

Chapter IX

Eddie

        Jewel had condensed the gigantic ship into a small rowboat. Eddie didn’t know how she managed to do it without crushing him or Rosella, but she did. Finnick’s necklace was working perfectly. He would have to thank him if he ever saw him again.

        The rowboat was still ways away from the Argo II. Rosella was at the very front, Jewel was sitting in the middle, and Eddie was at the back. Jewel held her temples in concentration as she mentally pushed the boat ahead. Eddie still didn’t know how exactly she was doing it. He had asked her before, but he didn’t understand it - she was talking too fast. She did say she was “amped up” before, but now she seemed too damn hyper. It was like whatever was calling her was feeding her with energy, and she didn’t know what to do with it. The closer they got to the boat, the more her leg hobbled. Eddie knew that it was a good thing though, because she could use that energy in a fight if she needed to.

        Eddie was studying Rosella every now and then. She seemed determined - almost anxious in an excited way. She was finally going to see if Annabeth and all their other friends were okay. But Eddie knew his girlfriend. He knew she was worried like crazy on the inside. He could tell by the way she was biting her nails and sitting straight - unmoving. He knew that she was thinking of the possibility that if they board the Argo II, it could be too late. He was thinking the same thing. But he had to put on a brave face for her. He knew that she needed her strength, and he needed to help her gather that strength. Its just how their relationship worked. They got strength from one another.

        Rosella turned her head - she had been staring at the Argo II the whole time - and smiled weakly at Eddie. He gave her a reassuring smile and mouthed: “Its going to be okay.” She nodded and turned her head back. It seemed like that small moment made her feel a little bit better. It made Eddie feel better too. Knowing he could help out his girlfriend when she needed it most was a great feeling.

        Eddie was watching the outline of the ships out of the corner of his eye. Their silhouettes were casting eerie shadows on the water and the rolls of fog. It made chills run down Eddie’s spine. He could see Festus’s peaking out of the fog too. That gave him a little assurance. Hope filled his gut.

        The sails of the ships towered higher as they floated in between. The ships themselves looked like gigantic monsters raising out of the water and peering down at the teenagers.They creaked in the water, and moved with the waves.

        Jewel had the boat float until they reached the side of the Argo II. They could climb up the ladder that was partially dangling from the ship. The group stood up and reached for the ladder. Eddie grabbed it and began climbing. He kept his gaze upward, so he could see where the next rung was. He reached up and grabbed it to pull himself up. Eddie looked down over his shoulder to see Rosella was the next one up. Jewel was turning the boat back into a necklace. It transformed under her feet, and she grabbed the ladder before she fell in the water.

        Now that Eddie knew that the girls were, he looked up and continued. He made it to halfway up, and he could already hear commotion. There were voices and rustling. None of it sounded friendly. Eddie was now hurrying up the ladder. He was becoming apprehensive.

        Eddie’s heart was pounding in his chest; it was so loud he could hear it in his ears. Sweat was beginning to glisten his back. He bit on his lip and began to think of all of Rosella’s visions. He was praying that they weren’t real.

        His hand touched the last rung. He boosted himself up, and his eyes peered over the railing. It was...bizarre.

        Eddie frowned. What the bloody hell is going on? He thought. His eyes scanned the area. He closed his eyes, wondering if he was imagining things. He reopened his eyes and saw that he wasn’t. He made a weird and confused face.