Chapter 3: Blue Eyed Boy

Chapter 3

The sun peeked through the curtains, bathing the dorm room in a bright yellow glow. I squeezed my eyes shut, blocking out the light, wishing it was still night time. I pulled my covers over my head sinking into the darkness.

"Rise and shine princess." Beatrice sang. She grabbed the material of my covers into her fist and tugged them to the floor. I moaned, aggravated.

"Go away." I muttered.

"No way. Today is the first day of Legerdemain lessons." She responded.

My eyes shot open as the images from last night flooded my head. My parents saying goodbye. Ms Keane the headmistress disappearing with a simple snap of her fingers. And the blue eyed boy with white hair. White as snow.

I sat up and stretched, yawning.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"8:00 am. Classes start in an hour."

"An hour?!" I exclaimed, "but I could still be sleeping right now!"

"Yeah, but you can't go to class looking like that," she pointed to my hair, "plus, I need to show you were all your classes for the day are, and you need to eat, you fell asleep early last night and missed dinner." Beatrice said matter-of-factly.

My stomach grumbled as if on queue.

I ran to the mirror hanging on the wall. My hair looked like a birds nest.

"Oh gosh" I cracked up laughing, "it really is bad."

* * *

Around and hour later, my hair was done, I was dressed, fed and ready to begin my new life in the Legerdemain school.

A loud ringing noise filled the schools halls.

"That bell means lessons start in 2 minutes." Beatrice explained when she saw the confusion on my face. She pulled out a piece of paper - our school schedule - from her dress pocket. Today she was wearing a fiery red dress that cut off at her ankles. She looked dazzling as always.

"Ohh, yay! Our first class is Ability Control lessons!" Beatrice beamed at me, "they're always so much fun, learning about your ability and being able to control it."

I wondered about Beatrice's power. What was it? She was obviously here for a reason. I was about to ask her about it when the bell rang again.

"What does that bell signify?" I asked Beatrice.

"It means classes have started, we'll be late if we don't hurry up!" She said, "quick c'mon, follow me."

Beatrice began running down a hall and made an abrupt turn left, continuing her way up the stairs.

We got to the classroom just before the teacher arrived. The classroom was very big. It didn't have any tables, just chairs lining the walls. There was a square platform in the middle of the room.

When the teacher, who introduced himself as Mr. Lendrick, arrived, the students all took their seats. Mr Lendrick stepped onto the platform he began giving us a lecture about our magical abilities. I payed attention for the first few minutes but my eyes drifted away from the teacher and to a familiar face. It was the boy from last night. He noticed me staring at him and smiled. Embarrassed, I briskly looked away.

Me Lendrick brushed a dark curl from his forehead. He was thin and tall and handsome too.

"Today, we will be learning how to control our abilities against each other. I will pick a pair and they must be able to protect themselves using their ability. " Mr Lendrick announced, "alright, Beatrice and Clementine you two may go first."

A tall pale girl with long blond hair, decorated with flowers, stepped up onto the platform. Though she looked harmless, she had a malicious look in her big green eyes. Beatrice joined her.

"Clementine, go first." Mr Lendrick said.

She snarled as vines began to rise up from the ground, attacking Beatrice's legs. But Beatrice didn't so much as blink. Fire spurted out of her palms, burning the vines.

"Is that the best you got?" Beatrice teased.

So that was Beatrice's ability. Fire. I'd didn't have much time to dwell on the thought before Clementine began to raise something from the ground again. But this time it wasn't vines. It rose bigger and bigger until it almost reached the roof. It was a giant snap dragon. This time there was a look of uncertainty in Beatrice's eyes. The massive plant charged down, and before Beatrice could burn it, the snap dragon had swallowed her whole. All I could do was gape at the empty space where Beatrice had stood.

"It looks like we have a winner." Mr Lendrick said. Clementine grinned and flipped her hair. Suddenly and explosion erupted from the snap dragons head. Pieces of the plant fell down on top of the stage, they were burning. The class began to cheer as Beatrice jumped down from the stem just as it collapsed.

Me Lendrick walked over to Beatrice. "Well done to our winner, Beatrice."

I beamed at her and began clapping.

"Now, who shall go next?" Mr Lendrick said as the students ceased their cheers. His eyes skimmed over the others and settled on mine.

"Princess Elsa of Arendelle. And Mr Jack Frost." He said pointing to the white haired boy.

Oh no. I didn't know how to control my powers. This wasn't going to be good.

My feet found the floor. I gulped. I walked over to the platform.

"Jack, you start." Mr Lendrick said.

Jack grinned devilishly at me, "Here we go, princess." He murmured.

I pulled all my doubt aside.

I wouldn't hurt him.

I was ready.