Chapter 2

The window nearly scratched me but I made sure that Sterling was safe. I rolled on the floor outside the window. A few citizens shrieked and screamed in shock.

I could feel the blood leaving my head. I'm not used to this anymore. It's been several months since the last time I had to draw blood as I escaped. Though I suppose those quiet days by the fire is now gone. Especially with Sterling here. Now December and I can't just leave in the middle of the night if we hear a bump. Now we have to plan because any unexpectedness with baby Sterling here could get us caught.

As I rolled on the ground, when I escaped from the window I made sure that Sterling as always protected. The guards all ran outside as I was getting off the ground.

"Don't move. We will have no control over our actions if you rebel. Think of the child" the guard on the left told me as he got ready to run in case I decided to ignore him.

Sterling cries made it hard for me to think of any logical reason. I can't get caught. I'd be executed along with the baby. I had to take care of my own. Even if it meant I would be hurt.

I put both of my hands in the air and tried to hush Sterling by shushing him. Though that only made him cry harder. The guards were feeling sympathy and guilt, I could tell from the way they looked at me and the child.

I needed that. I wanted their pity and craved for it, especially at that moment, when they think I'm at their mercy.

"Wait a minute. May I calm him, please. He only wants a bit of milk, that was why I was here"

"Ok. But no running. We will catch you if you do attempt to escape." the guards fixed their postures so that they aren't ready to run, but they never left their guards down. They remained completely suspicious of me and having a baby didn't smooth it over that much

"Hey, kid. Where's the mother?" a guard stared at the baby and me in confusion.

"She was ill. Now I have to feed him" the same guard rubbed the back of his neck and looked away sleepily and flashed me an apologetic smile.

"I had no idea"

"I know. It is quite alright"

"My sister also died during childbirth."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Does her husband care for the child?"

"No, I do. He killed himself, shortly after her."

I had no idea what to say after that. I had no idea why this conversation was even relevant to what they were about to do to me, but I knew the longer he talked with me, the more time I had to think up a plan.

"I'm so sorry"

"It's quite alright. I'm just trying to explain to you that I understand. But that we have to do our job. I promise that, that child will find a wonderful home, until your released"

"And what if I never get released?"

"Then I promise to make sure that the child knows you. That the child will grow up seeing your face"

"Even if it's seeing my face behind bars?"

"Even so."

The guard took a step closer to me and kept his hand in the air to show that he's no threat to me. Something I knew already.

Sterling had finally stopped crying which helped improve my thinking significantly. Their was a barrel of hay to my right and a clothing line right above it. If I could jump on the barrel and swing on the clothing line I could make it on the roof.

I took a step towards the guard who smiled and stood straight, then faked left and went right. I jumped directly on the barrel and it flung me up and I reached for the clothing line, only to miss by less then a millimeter.

I fell directly back on the barrel and Sterling crying distracted me. I quickly shook off the fall and ran.

The guards were hot on my trail but that didn't stop me. I ran into the alley and kept going. There was a secret escape in the alley and I just had to get there. If I did that I knew I would be safe.

The guards kept chasing me and gave me no time to run or hide.

There was the entrance. I kept running at full speed and took a sharp right then left. It was a short narrow way so they kept running thinking I went straight.

I rocked Sterling to hush him down and kept walking the opposite directions the guards ran in.

The streets were fairly empty now. Which was unusual since it was midday now. Heading home was the best option but I needed food for Sterling. I can starve but Sterling had to eat something.

"Psst. " My head whipped around but I saw nobody. "Psst. Hey you" I turned around and still saw nobody. "Hey. Over here" I looked to my left and standing in the dark was a man. A small man.

"What do you want?"

"Come here. I hear your looking for baby food. But your wanted" I sighed and walked closer to him. He knew something and I knew that meant he wanted something.

"What do you want" I said

"It's not what I want Bell Cranel. It's what you and your wife December wants."

"How do you know our names? Who are you?"