It's A New Day

Last night. I can't stop thinking about last night. Scarlett was so deep in thought she almost didn't hear Kevin yelling her name about a customer waiting in line. She jumped back to reality. The smell of burnt coffee filled her nostrils. She turned around and Kevin was trying to manage an increasingly long line.

        "Hop on that register and help me out here geez!" Kevin was clearly annoyed.

       "Crap I'm sorry!" Scarlett ran to the register. It was a good thing she was great at taking orders and making drinks, she handled the line better than Kevin, but that went unnoticed.

        "Where's your head at today! I need you to be on point you're my second in command now!" Kevin said finishing up the last order.

        "Won't happen again Kev!" Scarlett smiled. Second in command? I've been here 2 weeks! This is amazing!

         The rest of the afternoon was rather calm, she spent the day reminiscing about the night before. She killed a man. His blood covered her clothes. She felt so ... powerful and in charge. She sat on the bench opposite his body for about an hour before she realized she had to do something. She stuffed his pants shirt with as many heavy rocks as she could find and pushed him deeper into the lake. The water should wash away any evidence that she was with him. Luckily it rained that night and her dress was dark colored so her drenched clothes didn't draw any attention while walking home. She snuck in the house and put the clothes in a plastic bag and tossed it in her closet, with plans of burning them the next day, and then she hopped in the shower. She sat in the shower until morning, she didn't care how much her skin wrinkled. The heat from the shower was the closest thing to that sensation, the heat, the tingling she felt while standing over Damian's body. She wanted more.

         She sat in the back for her break. 30 minutes of silent contemplation, reminiscing.

        "Hey Scarlett, Someone is here asking for you." Kevin said interrupting her thoughts.

Dr. Jeffery Kilof POV

        It's been 2 weeks and he can't stop thinking about that kiss. With a patient, he felt so ashamed, and yet he was miserable. Did he do the right thing? He thought it would be best to never see her again.

~

2 weeks ago

           I felt my whole body go numb when her lips met mine. I pressed against hers for half a second before I realized what I was doing. I looked at her so confused, in that second my heart and mind were literally fighting. I walked away. Why did I walk away? Probably because she was she was as emotionally mature as a 16 year old, but she was a woman, in every other form of the word. She was his vision of beauty.

         "Dr. Kilof?"Dr. Williams asked knocking on his office door. "It's getting late Jeffery you should go home."She meant well. But I can't go home. There's no work there, There are only my thoughts. My thoughts of her.

        "Thanks Doctor, I'll pack up in a few, I must have lost track of time." I responded.

           "Listen, I'm old enough to know what you're thinking. And you may not want my advice but I'll give it to you anyway. It. Is. Not. Worth it. Trust me." She looked me in my eyes then turned and left, closing the door behind her.

          I was offended at first but I thought maybe she was right. "Dr. Williams!" I yelled after her.

           "Yes?" She reopened the door and poked her head through.