Chapter 26

The little café on the corner of Emerald Lane and Haven Street was buzzing as summer kicked off

The little café on the corner of Emerald Lane and Haven Street was buzzing as summer kicked off. Coffees of all roast; French, Colombian, Italian, and Ethiopian mingled in the atmosphere. Every table was taken, even the one tucked away in the dark, drab corner. Isabeth, Faith, Harper, and Gidget were blessed as they confiscated the booth right next to the middle window branded with the words Battery Acid after Hugh Moreau and Quentin Barnett got up.

"Philosophy." Gidget fiddled with a button on her soft pink polo. "I figured you for a Drama major."

"Most people assume that." Isabeth wiped the mocha syrup off her finger with the napkin. "But Drama is my minor."

"What's your favorite philosophical quote?" Gidget leaned over the table with excitement blazing in her eyes. "Cause I hear you can learn a lot about a person by knowing it."

"Umm." Isabeth was at a loss for words. She had a favorite philosophical quote and philosopher but her brain froze. Or maybe it was the way Faith was throwing daggers at Gidget from her pensive gaze. "Still searching." She shrugged with a grin. "What's yours?"

"I stumbled over a Nietzsche book in the library and I read it through and through." A smile slid its way across Gidget's face as she sat back. "But one stuck with me helped me through my struggles. It was, Glance into one's world just as though time were gone: and everything crooked will become straight, to you."

Harper pushed the straw out of her mouth, "Deep! I want something like that."

"Fuck that!" Faith rolled her eyes. "How the hell did you get the fourth spot? Fiona's spot." She held her hand up blocking Isabeth's side-eye.

"I didn't know it was Fiona's spot." Gidget air quoted. "And I wish I could've been at the funeral but my—"

"Your plane broke down." Faith jumped in. "We know."

Gidget leered at Faith for a while and Faith leered back before she spoke, "I didn't steal her spot. If that's what you think."

"Then what happened because..." Isabeth talked up. "Fiona loved interning at Kieran we've done it since junior year."

"I don't know what to tell you." Gidget toyed with the slender spoon in her Frappuccino. "I just bumped into her one day after leaving class."

"At Princeton," Isabeth stated. "That's where you went right?"

"Yeah." Gidget nodded. "She said I should fill her spot because she was over it...all of it."

Isabeth mouthed the last part of Gidget's statement before asking, "Do you know why she was there."

"Yeah." Gidget took a quick sip of her drink. "To see Sven."

Harper stopped breaking into the blueberry muffin. "My Sven?"

"Bitch!" Faith piped up. "Do you know any other Sven's at Princeton?"

"I told you about your bitches." Harper pointed a stern finger at Faith. 

Harper continued, "They don't sound friendly."

"They don't." Faith genuinely gasped. 

"Bitch please." Isabeth concurred before turning back to Gidget. "Do you know what she wanted with Sven?"

"I don't know." Gidget lifted the glass mug. "You'll have to ask him that."

"Ask him." Harper chirped. "Do you know where he is?" They stared at her blankly. "He's at Astrid's."

"Well, that sounds like a job for you." Faith scooted toward Isabeth signaling she was ready to leave. "Cause I'm not going to her house." 

Why do you think Faith doesn't want to go to Astrid's?

Thanks for reading! Remember to comment and vote.