Life's Too Short

I sighed and ran my fingers through my blonde hair. We need to get out of here. But how? Of course, we could always wait until we are released... But who knows when that will be! And besides, where's the fun in that? I walked up the the steel door and placed my palm against it slowly.

"What are you doing?" Bo asked me.

I shushed him and turned the doorknob open. "Getting out."

"They said you could go back to the cell..." Bo trailed off. "Oh you mean out."

"And I thought I was the blonde!" I whispered, winking at him. 

He smirked and playfully elbowed me as I stepped out of the room. Bo followed behind as I walked down the long corridor and past a woman on her phone. She paid zero attention to us as we slipped past her. Suddenly we came up behind two men in suits. I stopped Bo from nearly exposing us to them. He raised an eyebrow and looked at me as if to say what now? I shrugged, answering his unasked question. I quickly got an idea and pulled a quarter from my pocket. I looked at Bo and then at the two men. I flung the coin across the hallway in front of them and they jumped. I slid behind a wall swiftly, pulling Bo's towering figure with me. I peeked my head out and watched one of them walk up to the coin, and the other following. Bo grabbed my wrist and we ran around them. 

-Kara-

I pulled the neckline of my shirt up to my face and bit on it anxiously. There was a mirror that sat across the room, though I dared not look at it out of fear of myself. I killed a man, and there was no way I can live with myself. Yes, it was out of self defense but I didn't mean it. Never. 

"Kara?" I heard. 

I flicked my dark eyes over, not moving my face. It was a cop, great. Just what I need.

"Can I talk to you ma'am?" 

I shrugged and dropped the fabric from my mouth. I slithered my arms around my legs and pulled them up to my chest as he pulled up a chait next to me. The guy sat down and sighed, almost sadly. I looked up at him with my sunken eyes and he just stayed silent.

"W-what?" I said, which was the first word I spoke in almost three hours.

"Would you like some food, maybe something to drink?" He asked softly.

I felt taken back when he spoke, almost as if he felt sad for me. I shook my head. "No."

"Please? A hot meal would be great, right?" 

"I said no, I- I'm fine... Thanks t-though." I stuttered, still shaking.

"I know what you did was out of defense. I get it, sweetie." The man stated.

"But it was wrong..."

"Yes. But you can't change it now, can you?" 

"No... But-"

"So why let yourself get to this state? Look at yourself hun."

I picked my head up and looked at the mirror gingerly. Strands of hair fell over my eyes, my skin was pale from fear. I looked at my eyes, and they were dark and sunken in. He placed a hand on my shoulder as a tear fell from my eyes. I looked down at my hands as they shook violently.

"Life's too short for this, Kara."

After I finished the sandwich Chris (I learned that was his name.) made me, I decided to fix myself up a bit. Chris left for lunch break a little bit ago so I had a little privacy. I made my way to the bathroom and shut the door behind me. The sink was turned on and I waited for it to get warm as I checked myself in the mirror. I really was a mess, honestly. Can you blame me though? Once the water got warm I ran my hands under it. It was a refreshing feeling as I washed my face with hot water. After I was done, I pulled my hair up into a bun and fixed my bangs a bit but my scars caught my eye as I did so. I ran my slender fingers over the pink cuts and groaned. I need to stop. But I can't. Why can't I..? I heard the door open and took that as a reason to leave the bathroom. Once I walked out into the room, I was faced with two familiar faces. Bo and Jenna. 

"Kara-" Bo started. I cut him off by hugging them both. They both wrapped their arms around me, and I felt what I missed my whole life. An emotion I was robbed of by a very young age:

Love.

Who knew two strangers could become something so much more? If only I met them sooner, I probably wouldn't be the way I am. But I don't think anybody could really save me from myself...

Oh wow! Sorry for the long update! I  moved recently and I got really bad writers-block... but hey at least I'm back now! Sorry that this isn't very long!

-XXWild_OneXX

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE