12

I clutch my hands behind my back.

Unfortunately I recognize the girl immediately. Her hair is darker than night and her bangs cut her angular face in two like a knife. She is everything dark that exists in the world but I don't fear her, even though I sense an aura of power that my weak mind could not feel days ago in the kitchen. It hits me almost as hard as Melisande's did. I don't dare compare it to Slade's.

"Hello again," I purr. One of my eyebrows twitches comically and I loosen my hands from behind my back to lean against the railing. She gives me a sour smile.

"Doing any better since the other day? I can't tell..." I almost chuckle at her weak attempt at an insult.

"It's kind of a curse getting wounded that badly and still looking so good. Glad to know I'm still on top of my game tonight," I'm cackling internally when her lips purse into an ugly smile.

"I suppose that isn't the only curse god left you with," she helps herself to a chair to my right and observes the view.

"And have you come out here to tell me of the other 'curse?' Or do you just enjoy my company that much?"

She sighs deeply and takes a sip of whatever substance is in her red solo cup. "You teenage humans are so naive. Shouldn't you be at the Taylor Swift concert happening in the city?"

I chuckle. "Maybe. Shouldn't you be with your therapist right about now?"

She sips her drink.

"You will leave soon, human, or you will regret it."

I snap my head to peer at the tall lady, caught off guard by her threat.

"There are bigger things going on in this town than you can understand, little girl."

I lick my lips in thought. "That could be true. But one thing I do understand is that you've got some kind of beef with me. What's your deal lady?"

She stands from her position, her eyes never connecting with my own. Instead they examine the shoreline like a hawk, confirming that her nonchalant body language is just a ruse. Her eyebrows are set so tight to her eyes that she always looks mad, and I can't help but stare at them.

"You do not belong here, runt."

"The fuck?"

"He does not want you here."

"He who shall not be named? Slade?"

"Our Alpha," she snaps at me like I'm the one being disrespectful.

"And why the fuck not? Do you speak for him like the Lorax speaks for the trees? Why can't he just fucking tell it to my face instead of staring at me all night?"

She laughs with what I can tell is a forced casualness. "You naive little girl."

"Cut the bullshit lady. What do you want from me? I'm just trying to enjoy a nice sunset?"

"I've told you what I want. I want you of of this town. I want you far far away," she says her words with a malice that was not there before.

"Whelp..." I've walked past her across the balcony, done with her cryptic words and nonesense conversation. "We can't always get what we want now can we? Goodnight-?"