14

New Modern Love- Halestorm

--

I don't make it twenty paces before Garner catches up to me. With steel arms he pulls me close to his body and even though I struggle to get away, I know it is futile. He whispers 'shh' into my ear in response to my cries of 'What the fuck.'

"Get your paws off my mate, runt."

I can't see anything but Garners chest so I decide to just relax into his body, knowing I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

"I'm taking her home Slade," Garner says.

A roar sounds through the forest that can't be described in words, and that echoes in my bones with ferocity. "That is Alpha to you, youngling. Return to me my mate and I will not kill you," his voice is closer than I ever want it to be.

"Fuck off I'm going home!" I yell into Garners chest but its muffled. They all heard me though. Each and every one of those damn mutants and their damn enhanced hearing.

"Watch your language," says Slade and I am flabbergasted by his nerve. I try to yank myself out of Garners death grip but am unsuccessfully rewarded with the wonderful sights and smells of his chest hair.

"Watch your tone!" I shoot back. "And maybe watch a few videos on how to be socially acceptable to females!"

I hear a gasp from the crowd around us.

"Joan," Kaitie scolds me from behind Garner, and she sounds genuinely terrified.

"Take her home," his loud voice is nothing but dismissal.

"You damn well better take me home! I am not about to get gang raped but all you fucking mutants and your giant wolf penises! There are dead children on the ground but all you care about is-"

"Shut your filthy mouth you human whore," I recognize the voice and groan internally. I'm still not able to see anything but I can feel Garner's feet moving ever so slightly. I'm praying to god that it's in then opposite direction of her.

"You can't see me but my mouth is very much open, Vita. Oh ya! it is open and ready for all the damn dicks it can take."

Slade's growl drowns out the sound of Vita's by a landslide.

"Take your whore home, Garner Simmons; Alpha's orders. The adults are working here," says Vita.

"Just shut your mouth I'm taking her," Garners feet have begun moving faster and he hoists me into his arms.

"Goodbye fuckers!!"

"Joanie you better shut your mouth too if you know what's good for you."

I ignore him as I observe the now visible dark woods around me. He's running as fast as before, but Kaitie, Claire, and Gordo are nowhere to be found. I assume they stayed to pay their respects to the deceased.

"I'm taking you back to your Gran. You will not tell her about any of this."

"Garner you know... She owns most of these woods. This is her property."