Chapter 4

I painted in my art room. Painting was something that always soothed me whenever I was scared or anxious. And right now, I was terrified for Frank. He was in that scary place with the scary men. If he even was in a place. What if he was dead? What if they killed him and his body is lying in a ditch somewhere?

I heard my front door open and I walked out of my art room. Mikey has been staying with me and sleeping on my couch. In my foyer was some police.

"We've done everything we can but the e-mail can't be traced," one officer said.

I whimpered and Mikey gave me a hug.

"The van also didn't have a license plate so we can't track them by that," he said.

I cried, shaking my head.

"Tell us if you get any more messages," he said. "I'm Officer Wentz, but you can call me Pete. Here's my number, call me if you get anything new so you don't have to go through the operators or anything like that. I'm the director on this case so I'll be the one handling everything."

He wrote something down and Mikey took it.

"Thanks," Mikey said.

Pete smiled and nodded. "And between the three of us, i'm a fan of LeATHERMØUTH so I'm definitely gonna work hard to find Frank."

"Th-thank you," I whispered.

He nodded his head, saying goodbye and walking out. Mikey rubbed my back as I cried into his shoulder.

"Come on, you should finish your painting," he said softly.

I nodded slowly, feeling sick and dizzy.

"Stop worrying," Mikey said. "Frank is tough, he's gonna be just fine. I don't want you to faint, you always used to faint in high school if you got too scared or worried."

"I-I think I need to sit," I said.

Mikey held me sit down and I sighed, burying my hands in my face.

"Want anything? Water? Juice?" He offered.

"Cigarettes and beer sounds even better right now," I mumbled.

"You knows you can't, Gee, not with the baby," he said softly. "Here, I'll get you some water."

He got up and I watched him go to the kitchen, coming back with a glass of ice water. He held it out to me and I took a gulp of it.

"I miss him," I whispered.

"What about the baby?" Mikey asked. "Where's he or she gonna be put?"

I groaned softly, running a hand down my face.

"I...I think I'm gonna have to change my art room into a nursery, Frank and I will have to share the garage where him and the band practices," I said.

"Frank won't mind that, he'll love being able to be around you even more," Mikey said. "And we'll help you decorate. Maybe you can even paint some cool elephants or giraffes on the wall."

"Yeah, whenever I was drawing he would always just sneak into my room and watch me draw," I said softly with a small smile.

"Don't do that," Mikey whispered.

"What?" I asked.

"Talk about him like he's gone," he said. "Frank isn't gone, he's gonna come home."

I looked down at the drink in my hands, watching the way the ice swished around the glass. He reached onto the coffee table and picked up the little square picture. It was a picture of the ultrasound I had gotten. The baby was so tiny, so innocent. They don't even know all the horrible things that's happening with their father. I took it into my hand, feeling my eyes water all over again.