~ Chapter One ~

[The Girl In The Picture Is Athena]

It's been a hundred and forty-two years to the day, when Marena and her daughter, Athena were taken from their home. They were prisoners of the Pale Orc that invaded the Kingdom of Moria and was also an enemy of the line of Durin. The giant Gundabad Orc failed to kill all the Durin's that day in Moria, but he wasn't going to give up until the line was ended. The Lord of Ered Luin searched for years, trying to find the one he loved, but finally accepted the fact that she was dead, along with the young child of hers and he was never going to see her again.

Marena felt like she had spent a lifetime in this abandon fortress known as Dol Guldur. Everyday she was stuck there, her memories of who she was and what she knew was disappearing from her mind. Some days she even forgot she had a child. The one thing Marena often wondered was why the Pale orc had kept her alive all these years.

The woman often wander the fortress, having delusions of things trying to get her; like the vines that grew along the wall would suddenly move towards her. Marena wished she could escape this place but she was beginning to think that was impossible. The place was surrounded by orcs, wargs and other vile creatures. Over the years Marena no longer looked like the dwarf she should be at her age. Her features had come so deformed that she was unrecognizable. The dwarf was curled up in a corner trying to stop the voices inside her head that were screaming at her and she covered her eyes but it did little to help.

Marena looked up and let out a gasp when she saw two orcs in front of her they came towards her, making her back away from them, putting her arms out in front of her. They pulled the dwarf up by her arms and dragged her down the hall. The woman struggled against them, yanking herself in every direction trying to get out of their grip but it only made them tighten their hold on her. They continued down the hall nearing their destination, Marena glanced to her side to see a giant man being tortured by a number of orcs with whips. He was chained up, so he couldn't fight back and she turned away when she was brought into a room. The orcs tossed her on the ground in front of their master. Two more orcs came from a different entrance dragging the younger girl and threw her beside Marena. The two of them looked at each other as if they were strangers.

Azog the Defiler grinned at them with an evil smile on his face. He had his reason for keeping them alive and now he was finally going to be able to put his plan into motion. " Release them into the wild." Azog demanded in his awfully language. The orcs looked at their master confused. They had kept these two dwarf woman alive this long, only to have them be released.

The orcs began to protest with their leader wondering why he wanted them released instead of killed. Azog stepped in the middle of the circle of orcs as more joined in the room with Wargs.

" Why not kill them?" An orc shouted to the pale orc. Azog snapped his head in the orcs direction and stomped towards him.

" Because, they will slow Oakenshield down. We'll attack them on the road and they'll all die." Azog growled at them as he looked at the two frighten dwarf woman. He looked at Marena in particular. " This one means something to the dwarf-scum." He spat as he pointed at her. The orcs and wargs finally understood what their master was getting at and they all roared in triumphant .

The orcs yanked Marena and Athena up from the ground and the orcs and wargs dragged the two of them out of the fortress. The orcs horn sounded as they left the fortress. Marena covered her ears from the piercing sound. Nightfall had come as the orcs continued to pull the two dwarves with them. Marena and Athena had no idea how long they had been walking for only that they were running on exhaustion and had a hard time concentrating when they fell to the ground.

Two wargs began to stalk towards them as if they were about to kill them. Marena and the other woman got up and the wargs launch themselves at them making them take off running into the woods. The wargs chased them for a while and eventually stopped but the two dwarves continued to run long into the night. The two of them have been walking for days, starving and had no sleep. The sky had gone dark as Marena and Athena crept slowly through the woods, having no idea where they were going and they didn't want to go back from where they came.The first couple of days the two of them didn't say a word to each other. Neither of them knew who each other were but yet the two of them were sure they knew each other but couldn't recall from where before they were brought to that terrifying fortress.

By the third day, they two of them were completely exhausted, unsure how much further they were going to be able to go before they collapsed. Night time came, the two of them willed themselves to keep going. Marena stopped when she saw a fire going, they weren't alone. Others were here, she continued to walk towards the flames with Athena behind her. The two of them ducked when they saw shadows moving around. Marena slowly stood back up and saw it was a bunch of dwarves. She took one more step when she stepped on twig and it snapped.

A dark haired dwarf snapped his head in their direction but couldn't see them. He got up from his spot on the rock, whispered to another one that was younger looking and they started heading right in their direction. As they got closer Marena began to tense up and panic she could feel her adrenaline pumping as the strangers got closer. The two dwarves were at the edge of the forest, Marena suddenly ran out of the bushes and launched herself at the dwarf knocking him to the ground and she was on top of him try to hold him down.

Athena burst out of the forest only seconds later and attacked the other one. The dark haired dwarf managed to grab the woman by her arms and he flipped her onto her back and held her to the ground. He notice something wasn't quite right with her face and she struggled underneath him.

" Hold her still!" An old man demanded. The dwarf held her down as the old man in grey robs placed his hand on her forehead whispering some kind of incantation. The woman let out a painful scream and the wizard removed his hand from her head. Marena was breathing heavily as she slowly sat up. Her features were starting to go back to normal. She turned to look at the dwarf and somehow knew she had seen him before but she couldn't remember where. The dwarf looked at her in shock, when she suddenly collapsed from exhaustion and he caught her in his arms. The dwarf looked at the old man in robs.

" How is this even possible?" Thorin asked as he looked down at the woman that was still in his arms. The wizard said nothing but gave Thorin an unsure look. Thorin turned and saw the other woman that had attacked his youngest nephew. It was the same child he had seen that day at the battle of Moria and he was left puzzled as to how they were alive.

Thorin carried Marena and laid her down by the fire and placed his cloak over her to keep her warm. Dwalin carried the younger woman over and laid her near the fire. The other dwarves and the hobbit looked at their leader confused as to who these two were. Thorin sat on a rock near the fire in deep thought. He had so much running through his mind. He continued to look at the woman, everything came flooding back to him, a day never went by that he didn't miss her. He flashed back to the day he last saw her, thinking he had lost her forever and now here she was, but how?

[Hearts and comments are very much appreciated! :) hope your all enjoying the story!]