Kol Mikaelson - "You're putting words in my mouth."

"Are you sure you can't stay any longer?" Kol held both your hands and he stared at you as if you walking away would literally shatter his heart. "I've tried everything I could to get my siblings out of the house today!" He pouted a little and the disappointment was clearly hearable in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Kol, but my mother just called that my father is in the hospital. I can't let her go there alone. Who knows what's wrong with him." You swallowed and you felt your heart racing in your chest. You were worried, more worried than you wanted to admit.

"It's probably nothing, really." Kol let one of your hands go so he could tuck a strand of hair behind your ear. "Your mother will be fine on her own. She doesn't need you to hold her hand, does she?"

"Kol..." You shook your head and took a deep breath. "My mother only has my father and I and I know that she fears she'll lose him. I have to be there for her. And I have to be there for him. I know that you went out of your way to make tonight special and I hate it that I have to leave, but I can't help it, I'm sorry."

Kol let your other hand go too and the disappointment on his face turned into anger. He raised his eyebrows and his eyes hardened. He tensed his muscles and the vein in his neck was visibly beating. "It seems to be my eternal fate. I always come second, I never come first." Kol spoke softly, but firmly. "You're picking your family over me."

"Kol..." You sighed and you cocked your head. "That's not what I mean and you know it!" You widened your eyes while your jaw dropped. "My father is in the hospital and I know that mostly it means not that much, but it can also mean something terribly bad and in case of the latter I want to be there to support my parents."

"Your family is more important to you than I will ever be. I get it." Kol stepped back. "I had just hoped that you would be different, that I had finally met someone who would always put me first." He wanted to turn around, but you curled your fingers around his wrist and forced him to keep on looking at you.

You knew you were taking an enormous risk. You knew that if Kol would explode, you were the one your mother had to bury. But you also knew that you couldn't leave Kol behind like this either. "You're putting words in my mouth, Kol." You paused for a short moment and leaned on the tips of your toes. "If anything would happen to you, I would drop everything to come to you as soon as possible." You locked your glance with his. "You're the best thing that has ever happened to me and I can't imagine a life without you anymore. But I also can't imagine my life without my parents." You took another deep breath. "You don't come second, Kol. If both you and my dad would have been in the hospital, I would have come to you."

Kol didn't say anything. He didn't interrupt you. He didn't scream. He didn't yell.

You were not sure if that was a good or a bad sign, actually. "Why don't you come along?" You looked up at Kol and he widened his eyes and shook his head. "You're part of my little family too and I think my mom and dad can use all the support they can get."

"I'm not particularly fond of hospitals." Kol bent his head and stared at his feet.

"No one is, that's why we humans like to have the people we care about with us." You pulled him a little closer towards you. "And then I will make sure your siblings leave the house again during our next date."

"Fine, but I don't think you'll manage."

"Let's hope we will find out soon."