Chapter 26: Road Trip

Killian's P.O.V:

"Okay, let's see those papers," Emma says, hopping off the bed in excitement. I smile warmly, watching her.

From the nightstand beside me, I pull out the file which contains all the information from so long ago and hand it to Emma.

"Ugh hold on, lemme get my contacts or I won't be able to read a thing," she mutters, searching around the room. "Oh whatever, I'll just use these," she says, pulling out her old glasses that she wore when we were in school together.

I smile at the sight. She's still as adorable as she was before I left for Drogheda.

Emma opens the file, her eyes scanning fervently over the papers.

After a few moments of silence, still, Emma reads and rereads.

"...well?" I ask.

"Shh," she quiets me gently, holding up her finger. I tap my foot anxiously.

"Okay before you burst I'll tell you what's taking so long. I have the basic information and some articles, but I'm trying to analyze it... when you want to find someone you figure out their life. Who are they? What's their story? Who do they love?" she explains. "I'm just trying to see if I can get any clues like that."

I nod in understanding, allowing her to continue reading over the pages.

"I'll go make us some grilled cheeses," I tell her, planting a kiss in her hair. She nods, keeping her focus on the pages before her.

I head downstairs, throwing together sandwiches for the both of us and slap them onto the mini grill. Moments later- instant deliciousness.

"What are you two doing up there? You've been upstairs all morning," Marissa says, approaching me with a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Emma believes she can find members of my family," I answer simply, putting the sandwiches onto plates.

"And you... don't?" Marissa asks curiously, crossing her arms.

"I don't know... it's a nice thought but I'd rather not get my hopes up," I admit.

"Oh, Killian you have to hope. Even believing in the possibility of a happy ending is a very powerful thing," Marissa assures me with a comforting smile.

"Aye, thank you," I say as she pulls me into a hug. "Well, I should get back to Emma."

"And I should get back to the kids," she replies with a smile.

With the two plates in my hands, I head back up the stairs to mine and Emma's room and hand her one.

"Yes, thank you," Emma says appreciatively, looking up from the file to accept the sandwich. Just as she moves to take a bite out of it, her eyes glued again to the papers, she gasps, her eyes growing wide. "Bingo!" Emma exclaims, jumping up off the bed.

"What is it?" I ask excitedly. She looks up at me with a grin.

"I know exactly where to find your brother!"

"What?! How?!"

"It's in this article about Liam. Here look, right here," she says, handing me the article and pointing out an excerpt.

I read it over carefully, however not seeing what Emma sees.

Heading into Boston MA, we meet with the next person on our list- Liam Jones. With his line of work, we'd better be careful. You can never be too cautious with people in this career. While most say that he's one of the kindest of all the commanders and officers the crew has met, we'll have to watch ourselves!